Am i entitled to a Bus pass?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

bits and bobs
New member - welcome them!

Am i entitled to a Bus pass?

Post by bits and bobs »

Hello,
I live in Tyne and Wear and I am wanting to know if you think I am entitled to a bus pass?
I did not know much about Dyspraxia over than that i was diagnosed with it. I did some research and i know see how it effect me. I find it difficult to stand for longer than 5 or 10 mins before my back really hurt and my balance is really bad and i walk in a more of a waddle or rocking motion and my posture is stooped. It really upsets me my walking as i used to just think they where bad growing pains. Other people noticed my walking and in school i got picked on for it :( . I get DLA and i am going for my PIP assessment soon.

Best wishes from Sean
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Am i entitled to a Bus pass?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sean

Usually local councils administer bus pass schemes so they are probably the people to ask re criteria. I would hope your mobility needs should make you a clear case irrespective of whether or not Dyspraxia is a 'qualifying condition'. Your GP practice may also be able to advise and may be required to support any application.

All the best and welcome
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
bits and bobs

Post by bits and bobs »

Thank you for your answer, I am going to go to the town hall soon and go to the services department. Fingers crossed as getting the bus around will really help me. :)
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

Hi,

Hope you are well.
I was wondering how you got on when you enquired about getting a bus pass?

Leanne
bits and bobs

Post by bits and bobs »

Hello,
I went to the town hall and they told me i have to wight until i get reassed by Pip to see how man points i have (I need 8 on mobility to get one) and i am going on monday for my apointment.
Fingers crossed something materialises as I went out yesterday and was in utter aggony.

Love from sean :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I know my local council do the assessment for criteria based on what DLA/PIP you are claiming, eg. high rate mobility entitles you to a blue badge or bus pass, low rate then they won't give you the form to complete, or even take to your doctor to complete.

if you are unsure, or you think you should get a bus pass, and you disagree then you can also get a fitness certificate from the doctor stating the reasons why you need it. or getting a letter off the Doctor, as low rate mobility, or no mobility then the council thinks that you don't need a bus pass for some reason, even though I have read somewhere they should give you a form to apply for it.

don't take no as an answer, go to the doctor and explain the reasons why, and if the council won't give you the form. the doctor should give you a letter to take to the council.

also it takes about 2-4 weeks to get the bus pass off the council, kind of the same with the blue badge. it can take longer if it is a new claim, also you will need 2 or 3 passport photos of yourself not wearing any glasses or anything. stupid rule if you ask me when I wear glasses 24/7.

and best of luck with it. but pretty sure I read somewhere else PIP, and DLA are only an automatic entitlement. you don't need to be on either and still able to get a blue badge or bus pass due to medical grounds. don't quote me on this though.