HELP FOR LEARNING TO DRIVE TO HELP TO PASS DRIVING TESTS

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

joy
Power poster

HELP FOR LEARNING TO DRIVE TO HELP TO PASS DRIVING TESTS

Post by joy »

I know that some people struggle learning to drive with Dyspraxia have just learned that British school of motoring have an interactive CD which may well be assistance to learner drivers with Dyslexia/Dyspraxia/DCD

The programme is called MAP(Mind alertness programme) and costs £18.99

An initial assessment takes about 30 mins and evaluates ability in regard to the 12 key driving related cognitive skills such as attention,perception and eye hand co-ordination.These are skills that often need strengthening in youngsters with Dyspraxia/DCD .
On completion of the assessment the results are sent to your driving school and instructor and a personalised driving programme is tailored to your needs.

Personalised cognitive training is also designed individually based on the assessment results and takes around 20 mins around three times a week to complete.

There is a re assessment at the end of the programme(18 sessions)
This can only be done through the BSM as a individual password and number are supplied by them when the CD is purchased.
I don't know whether it is available elsewhere.

This means that you will have to use BSM but they do have a number of trained disability instructors.

I don't know how much it will all cost but many struggle for sometimes years trying to master driving and has probably been costly for them any way. For those who are still struggling my be worth investigating further.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Re: HELP FOR LEARNING TO DRIVE TO HELP TO PASS DRIVING TEST

Post by calumfsinclair »

Hi there!

I'm 17 and I'm also learning to drive, I passed my theory test and now I'm looking to do my practical. I was given a copy of MAP by a friend who passed her driving test. I never used it, I got the DSA DVDS which cover all the topics and I studied hard. The worst bit is hazard perception but I learnt how to pass the videos by learning what they want you to click for. However the time and effort payed off and I passed first time!!! :D
As for practical, I'm hoping to sit my test in three weeks. My tips would be to try and get some lessons off the road if you are unsure about physically driving the car. I did it for sixth months, and it really helps. If you are in Kent there is a place in Canterbury I would recommend for this! Secondly, don't rush and don't panic. If you get frustrated pull over and have a breather. You will be anxious but a stressed dyspraxic is not the best person to be driving, but my instructor knows and he tells me to pull over and we have a break. Thirdly, tell your instructor you have dyspraxia, most will understand and will make an extra effort with, if they don't its probably not worth pursuing lessons with them! Fourthly wear a watch or other article on one wrist, I wear my watch on my left wrist therefore that is always left! I don't like the dot system on the wheel since if the steering wheel is upside down, it's easy to get confused!! Lastly my OT at school said imagine an egg on the dashboard, you want to gently apply the brakes so as not to break the egg, also it's better to underestimate gaps and speed than to over estimate. If you're unsure slow down or stop!
I know this is a lot, but I hope it helps!! It's not easy for us but it's not impossible. As one of my closet friends (shes dyspraxic too) says 'twenty seconds of courage goes a long way'. Meaning if you attempt something once, even just sitting the car, at least you got in and next time you'll be able to do just a little! Dont give up and most importantly believe in yourself!! Driver
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Moses
New member - welcome them!

Post by Moses »

hi
for pass to deriving license, it is all depends upon on your confidence. first you can practice into a road which have minimum traffic. practice about your tests. always remember that everything is possible just need confidence. hope you will be done. thanks
minilin

Post by minilin »

I opted to take an Automatic test in the end, so I have a full Automatic Licence :) It means I can still get from A to B, drive myself around etc and it reduces the amount of things I have to think about while driving. I really struggled with changing gears etc Even when not looking at my feet it took so much concentration that I wasn't really looking where I was going on the road :(
Elvis_6

Post by Elvis_6 »

I am about to join a driving school where i can learn to drive well on roads. I felt that driver training is really necessary if you want to train yourself in driving. Practice is the second important thing. You can overcome any situation if you practice to drive everyday.

URL deleted by moderator
karlmullen41

Post by karlmullen41 »

I passed first time in the car although I know plenty of people who were caught out in unexpected situations that ended up not passing first time.

If you do make a mistake such as stalling the car, don't panic as that's when you can turn a minor error into a test fail. Never rush and grab the controls, instead think carefully through what you need to do then carry it out in a calm and controlled manner.

URL removed by moderator
Jacob

Re: HELP FOR LEARNING TO DRIVE TO HELP TO PASS DRIVING TESTS

Post by Jacob »

Is anybody here from Nevada who can suggest me drivers ed las vegas who also provides traffic courses? I am going buy a car but I don't know how to drive.