Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

AlexMark
New member - welcome them!

Learning to drive on and off for five years now

Post by AlexMark »

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all keeping safe and well.

I am just wondering how you have all found learning to drive? I have autism and dyspraxia, so it has been considerably harder for me than a lot of other people. I started learning to drive in a manual car at the end of 2016 when I was 17, and then had lessons on and off until Summer 2018 when my instructor said that I should learn in an automatic car. I did this, and then I went through a number of not so good instructors and it took me until early 2020 to find an instructor that I was truly comfortable with. I had tests booked but then due to Covid, I had to stop learning. I have started again now with the same instructor but I am a little bit rusty so I am worried about how long it will take for me to get the level I was at before. I am happy to carry on learning until I pass (however long it takes) but I am concerned about the amount of money that I have spent already, and the amount I will end up spending. I feel as if I am still feeling a lack of confidence from the fact that I was unable to grasp a manual car, and I am worried that I will eventually have to ''give up'' learning for some reason. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Learning to drive on and off for five years now

Post by Tom fod »

Some people advocate leaving it till you're over 25 as there's allegedly an area of the brain that is not fully matured.
I guess it should be determined by your need, appetite and available finances to fund it vs opportunity it will provide.

Good luck and all the best. You can and will get there.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Re: Learning to drive on and off for five years now

Post by Jim »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the focussing on the automatic. The way technology and cars are going then the manual transmission will eventually be a thing of the past.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: