Sharing advice for coping strategies

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pomo
Getting settled in

Sharing advice for coping strategies

Post by pomo »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and really having a tough time dealing with my dyspraxia at the moment. I am a trained teacher in my probation year. I teach secondary education maths and pe.

The fact that I can teach pe is suprising obviously, but typically dyspraxics are determined and that why I have succeeded here, However, seeing how my determination is being defeated in my current role as dyspraxia is consuming my hoped for career, I thought it would be a nice idea to share any coping strategies people may have for certain dyspraxic issues.

One strategy I have is to ensure that I do lots of regular exercise to keep my body toned and my mind clear. Repetitive movements become easier with practise, running machines have emergency stops and gyms have instructors who can support you.

In addition, not that I have the time for it at the moment, but yoga also firms and improves control of body parts.

Look forward to any posts

Pompom
Liz944
Super poster

Re: Sharing advice for coping strategies

Post by Liz944 »

Hi

Welcome to the forum!
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

welcome to the forum
turnergirl
New member - welcome them!

Post by turnergirl »

Hi.

I find swimming the best form of exercise for me as, like many Dyspraxics, I suffer from weak muscle tone and joint instability. Swimming is great as the water supports your body weight, reducing the strain on your joints.

Joint instability is sometimes referred to as being 'double jointed' - people who are extra bendy and supple! - and is a common symptom of Dyspraxia. I was advised by my GP and a Physiotherapist that Yoga was the worst form of exercise for me to do as it lengthens your muscles and mine are already too stretchy! (Not a very medical explanation, I know, but that is how the doctor explained it to me!)

Therefore, I would advise any Dyspraxic to ask their GP if they have any joint instability and get advice on the best form of exercise for them. Yoga is a very trendy form of exercise at the moment, and I'm sure it is very effective for some people, but it isn't suitable for everyone. As Dyspraxia can have so many varying physical symptoms, getting the right sort of exercise for each individual is vital.

Another thing I would say to anyone is don't be afraid to go to your GP to discuss your Dyspraxia. I was forced into it when my son first displayed signs of Dyspraxia, but I wish I had done it years ago. I was so nervous that she was going to laugh at me or dismiss me completely but she was absolutely fantastic and very understanding. So if you've never seeked professional advice, bite the bullet and do it. And if you're not happy with the response you get, ask to see someone else. I am 31 and have only just been officially diagnosed. Dyspraxia has been affecting me in lots of ways for all these years and if I'd done something about it earlier I would have saved myself a lot of hassle.

x
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

In reply to the last point that is important to note!

We all have differences, so advive given here will not be universal.

For example, lots may struggle to drive safely. For me, it is not a real problem, however I do need to focus.
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

PDA with oulook on it will greatly aid short term management and time management.

I don't know about others, but I have always avoided doing things I want to because of my concerns of organising them!
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

Finding some sort of escapism is really useful sorting your head out if you feel stressed.

Personally, I find films, sport and computer games good activities to sort my head out.

However, others may enjoy other things!
turnergirl
New member - welcome them!

Post by turnergirl »

Yes, I find playing on my Wii helps me relax too. I think it has also helped improve my hand-eye co-ordination. I'm not a computer games expert (the Wii is the first games console I've had since my Gameboy 15 years ago!) but the great thing about the Wii is that you don't have to be an experienced 'gamer' to do well at the games. My Mum plays the Tennis with me and she is 60 years old!

x

P.S I didn't mean to offend anyone with my earlier post about yoga not being suitable for everyone, I just wanted to point it out because some people are too embarrassed to seek professional advice, so they may just follow the advice given on here without questioning it. That's why I was trying to encourage people to see their GP, that's all. It obviously caused offence to the member who posted the original message, but it certainly wasn'nt meant to and for that I would like to apologise.
pomo
Getting settled in

Post by pomo »

Honestly no offense taken!

You pointed out a good point. That fortunately is not a big issue for me, but unfortunately may be for others!

I am absolutely uselss at swimming, the coordination means I either creek my neck or back.

Pompom
sazdenny
Getting settled in

Post by sazdenny »

yup for me too yoga was one of the biggie reliefs that made me cry when I first discovered it ~ really.. then I discovered karate too. I now do a bit of yoga for a few months then maybe a bit of karate a few months later ~ sometimes a few in the gym.. my life is too unstructured to stick at any one thing & I find I need the variations anyway.. yoga to keep calm, karate to channel my temper, I'm pretty calm & balanced these days for it.. *S*

Other coping strategies to fine tune the other bits are massaging anyone who'll take one off me, my fingers need the extra excersize if that makes sense & also I force myself to keep a diary, I make sure I write, with a pen (yes yes theres no need for carbon underneath the paper LOL) for at least twenty mins every few days.. hurts a bit but keeps my motor function going a bit better than if I don't.

Yes I can kick ass with a calm smile on my face at the same time, I can multi-task ~ but I still cant hold the bleedin' mop!!
Dont diss my praxia man...
=oD
lunalovegood
Getting settled in

Post by lunalovegood »

Thanks to everyone for sharing! Some of these suggestions are really great (i.e. swimming, writing, and yoga). I did Pilates for a while and that helped stabilize my movements. Unfortunately, I left off doing it and would like to start again. Although I'm not terribly flexible, it still helped.