Problems.

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lithium_joe
Power poster

Problems.

Post by Lithium_joe »

I'm withdrawing from the PGCE. It's proved to be too difficult for me to keep on top of everything I needed to do in order to pass, and if I'm not going to pass - not point continuing.

I've a meeting with the university on Tuesday when I find out what my options are.

Very, very sad (and just a little relived)
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Pooky
Administrator

Re: Problems.

Post by Pooky »

Lithium_joe wrote:I'm withdrawing from the PGCE. It's proved to be too difficult for me to keep on top of everything I needed to do in order to pass, and if I'm not going to pass - not point continuing.

I've a meeting with the university on Tuesday when I find out what my options are.

Very, very sad (and just a little relived)
Oh no :( Have the university provided you with the support you need? I wouldn't be too hasty, I felt like I wanted to quit my PhD all the time, however I persevered and achieved it.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

I presume you are near the end of the course, can you not stick it out and see what happens?
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I would talk to your uni first before withdrawing as they may be able to extend deadlines and help you find coping mechanisims to complete the work or at least take the pressure off you. Have you tried talking to other PGCE student's on your course as often you find that if you can work together that you can half the workload. Often you find other students in the same sort of position especially if the work load is hefty....

If you are close to finishing it is worth battling on for....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

It's not the academic side I'm having problems with it's the performance in the classroom (where it matters) There was about 4 weeks remaining on my final placement and it became clear that I was not going to be able to meet the standards required in order to be passed by the school.

It was not a question of putting in my effort, or having extended deadlines, or having a lighter workload: it was just being inept at reading mood, and being able to multi-task and being able to switch focus and direction at the drop of a hat.

All things which are, apparently, essential to a career in teaching.
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Have had some thoughts about the difficulties I have with dyspraxia I will give them some further thought and post them back here. it crystalised for me today as I was trying to think why I had found the process of teaching so difficult.
~ Sam Harris.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

How did your meeting go???

Sometimes with multi-tasking you find that you have to give the impression of multi-tasking but in reality dealling with things one at a time... but making sure that you have given yourself enough time to do the job(s) in question...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

They are still on ghoing - I'll let you know.

in short I am going to be allowed to graduate just not qualify with QTS.
~ Sam Harris.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Sorry, what is QTS?

Thanks...
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Qualified Teacher Status
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

What would you have to do, in order to get the qualified teacher status at a latter date?
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Not sure.
~ Sam Harris.