Dyspraxia Foundation forced to cease operations.

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Dyspraxia Foundation forced to cease operations.

Post by ALADDIN »

I am very sad to learn that the dyspraxia foundation no longer exists , due to low finances .

It is sad , because people especially from non - traditional backgrounds, will find it harder to get support for dyspraxia.

The NHS , apart from a little speech therapy, will probably provide no support for adult dyspraxics, unless , I might be wrong .
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia Foundation forced to cease operations

Post by Tom fod »

It seems that despite the efforts of all those who work and volunteer for the DF they've had to declare themselves as insolvent.

This Forum is independent of the DF so we'll remain as a source of information /signposting and peer support.

Obsolete is regrettably the wrong word as an organisation that represents people with Dyspraxia is still very much needed.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mimi Cuckoo
New member - welcome them!

Re: Dyspraxia Foundation forced to cease operations.

Post by Mimi Cuckoo »

Hi

I got this email yesterday too, it is sad that they have been forced to close. It leaves a lot of people without support & it was my main source of information about dyspraxia/ DCD, which I'm sure will be the case for many people.

Does this forum have a social media presence? Or does anyone know of any alternative Facebook groups/ sources of peer support. Preferably private groups as I prefer not to post sensitive material in public on Facebook...

Thanks

Mimi Cuckoo
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mimi

Welcome. Please see our Resource List
viewtopic.php?t=7385

There are links to a few of the many Dyspraxia Groups and pages devoted to Dyspraxia.

This Forum has been going since 2006 but a lot of the discussion has moved to Social Media platforms.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Mimi Cuckoo
New member - welcome them!

Post by Mimi Cuckoo »

Thank you Tom - great set of resources, I didn't know these existed, I will check some of them out.

I also noticed that you are hosting a zoom meeting - unfortunately I cannot make it tomorrow, but what are you planning on talking about - is it an informational thing or a social gathering?

Mimi Cuckoo
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mimi

It's generally social chit chat but we will share experiences/perspectives and ideas for solutions/coping strategies.

Suspect a lot of talk may be on the demise of the DF and our reactions to that.

I've been doing these roughly once a month after resuming in Feb.
We could potentially vary the day.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I consider THIS forum is a far better form of SOCIAL MEDIA than the commercially dominated Facebook and X/Twitter type of websites.

I once posted regularly here, only stopping and not restarting much when there was a hacking incident, now long forgotten.

We had a wonderful Yahoo Groups Archive going back to 1999 which was lost when Yahoo Groups closed.

Let us do all we can to preserve what is here and in the Dyspraxia Foundation's website.