My experience

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

cuthbertdavies
New member - welcome them!

My experience

Post by cuthbertdavies »

Hi everyone,

My name is Cuthbert and I'm 31 years old. I'm a bit depressed because I have not worked for most of my adult life and don't have a driver's license. Its about time I started out in life. If anyone can help, please message me. Thanks.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: My experience

Post by Tom fod »

cuthbertdavies wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:03 am Hi everyone,

My name is Cuthbert and I'm 31 years old. I'm a bit depressed because I have not worked for most of my adult life and don't have a driver's license. Its about time I started out in life. If anyone can help, please message me. Thanks.
Hi Cuthbert

Welcome to your Tribe

Being dyspraxic/neurodivergent can definitely make finding our way in life more challenging. The way you refer to a drivers licence causes me to wonder if your in the USA?

What type of work have you managed to do and what kind of challenges has this brought?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FromtheHill
New member - welcome them!

Re: My experience

Post by FromtheHill »

I feared learning to drive. My first accident was rear-ending the family Torino in a go cart. I learned at 18 in driver's ed (no way I could learn to drive from my parents. First step - find someone you can learn from that wont stress you out.)

Also, for me I play a ton of racing video games. Especially from 'behind the steering wheel' viewpoint. I set the difficulty level low at the start. The Forza games are great cause you can REWIND at anytime. There is a top level NASCAR driver that broke into the sport from playing video games long before he was in a race car.

The top level games are hyper realistic. Im terrible at playing most video games - but the repetition helps.

(The GTA and other open world games are not good to learn to drive since the cars in those games are floaty.)