Work based advice

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AndrewN
New member - welcome them!

Work based advice

Post by AndrewN »

Hi all, first timer here who has logged in trying to get some advice.

I was first registered with Dyspraxia when I was 29 after a lifetime of struggling at School.
I managed to get by in work generally after that after telling employers, however this got more messy after becoming Diabetic at 39. At this point, I got laid off from working from the Co-Operative so ended up resting for a few months while recovering and ended up working for the back office of a Court.

This went great for just over 10 years as they got a work pattern in place which helped me work through both of these conditions until I got laid off at the end of 2021 as admin officer.

Since then, I have really struggled in the job market with a number of short term roles, two of which had horrific managers which caused full on panic attacks, and enough which showed they couldn’t cope with a person who was Dyspraxic and Diabetic, I’m currently working for a management wealth company as a Admin again and really struggling to keep up because of the above as the work is a heck of a lot more complex than I did at the Courts.
I have just failed my three-month probation but it has been extended for another 3 months but I have doubts whether I’ll be able to do the job by the time they want it. Is their any kind of Dyspraxia software can anybody recommend I could refer them to try snd assist me?

Where am I also best to read up regarding Dyspraxia rights in the workplace?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Work based advice

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the Forum.
The legislation for the rights and protections for people with dyspraxia comes under the Disability protections in the Equality Act 2010. The GMB Union have a downloadable guide to Dyspraxia in the Workplace.

There's no software designed specifically for dyspraxia but there are packages that might potentially help. Key to this is receiving training to get the best out of them. Access To Work a government scheme set up to help people with disabilities in work may be able to help fund though your employer may need to.meet some of the cost.

Having a clearly defined role and access to on the job advice and support without judgement is also really important.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Dball
New member - welcome them!

Post by Dball »

Wow, you've really been on a rollercoaster with your job experiences. For Dyspraxia software, check out speech-to-text or organizational apps.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Hey Andrew
I can relate to this , for years was going through a on going battle with my employer ,who never put a thought there is laws and legislations in place to protect rights as a disability individual.
By saying this , many will try to use a loop hole stating that we are incapable and put hardship on the company ; even though, with a clean record or had been employed for years passing all the requirements.

Labeling disability for all to see or degrading intimidation tactics is against human rights act legislations .

A person does not have to label them selves to benefit the employer for degrading purposes ,on to the one whom is getting harassed because of being different . Specially if employed for years by the company and randomly occurrence just with no reasonable cause .

The problem with companies (big or small ) they can’t keep up to up to date legislation that put policies in place , that being said it’s not an excuse , although might figure it’s not a b huge deal, it’s the law which will be bad practice on the companies and it’s on them not on the person who has a disability.

In other words the employer can’t use aggressive tactics for the reason legislations are put in place and they never knew about it or choose to ignore the fact it’s as important as worksafe policies. some countries now goes hand in hand with respectful worksafe policies that can’t be ignored.

For instance I will use my scenario for an example.

I am finally getting the point across to be employer that I dedicated my service to. Along the years there were no signage of respectful workplace or anti harassment nor workshops to have all workers in the organization to learn and recognize legislations are changing (more protection laws for the policies).

During my complaints of history of bullying I went of stress leave cuz of the fact I was being phycological harmed , All along there were no signage or education for the employees and members for the policy that was obligations to enforce .

I endured intimidated tactics thrown at me ,that they were going to fire me by my own union for the cause I was different. Even though I worked and passed my probation period .was a member for 5 years when first started to try to push me out (16 yrs in total) .

a union that I pay to protect my rights as a worker did a bad faith practice went along employment side instead of obligations for fairness that goes along with the policy that himself sworn to me it’s not a toxic work environment .

I never backed down all though I had stress and lots of hardship of what the parties did over the years to cover up the fact I was Mis treated and do phycological harm un to me heavily leaning to the stress leave is because I could not handle my post for the reason of my disability not because of harassment.

What advise I can give you is read up on policies and to politely challenge a workplace who does not advertise or follow on the legislation acts that are put in place for a reason .

Any employer or personal can purchase a sign that has a no tolerance and respectful workplace that has no clue on the policies.

Cost money for organizing workshops etc but it’s the requirements and if you don’t follow up it can be Mis-conduct really quick .

once again when I mentioned a lot organizations are to busy or overwhelmed on other projects to notice or they turn a blind eye , as they never encounter a situation that disability works are amongst in the work places as well .

If they advertised you have a disability amongst parties , they are in fault for you need to grant them approval to register you as disability amongst parties. In new and up coming legislations which goes in place for the policies in order to be a respectful workplace. They did not pass the legislation for no reason so it’s a violation on the employer for not practicing and enforcing policies.

Took many years of uncovering truth to hear my voice heard
to finally push the correct way for the company to enforce the policies and it’s not over still lots more can be done . The ball is finally rolling and it’s in my favour or I have the edge on the situation.

Do everything on paper trail if you believe it’s important or sensitive matters . Emails is the best . Phone calls if have a recording app to go along with the conversation to keep in record .

With all of above be smart do not label or show off your evidence to other workers or piers for the reason it can turn on you quick and they have a reason to dismiss or terminate you as a employee.
Basically is for legal ferm uses ,get in touch with your labour board or contact human rights lawyer, they are lots of pocket lawyers now to start a claim for this cause or help in away that they will unravel the employers loop holes or breach in the policies .

And above all don’t let your shine degrade no your worth because tons of workplaces will label and degrade without knowing or even be using narcissistic tactics . Put the words of policies in mouth ,make it clear and bold but always in respectful manner :)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

If I can share you a writing I wrote ,for all of us that is suffering from mis treatment or in general from work environments .
We are eagles my friends we are eagles and strong winged as well .

Starring into the ocean as deep as your mind can wonder is silence and darkness
An eagle constantly being attacked picked on
by one than two osprey’s
side blinding the bird in the most vulnerable spot
eagle won’t go down
Harmed yet has wings stronger than the predators clear minded as if waters will be
still on the surface on the lake .
The predator ripples the waters
Amplified echo of waves of torment to disturb
peace of thought
as the ripples fade over time
for the eagle stronger wings shows the ospreys how i can fly
That they can’t destroy
peace of mind
can’t break my magnetic compass bearing to find my way threw rain or sunshine