Writing a Dyspraxic Character

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

scooty20
New member - welcome them!

Writing a Dyspraxic Character

Post by scooty20 »

Hey All! Non-dyspraxic person here.

I'm writing a comic, and I want to add a character with dyspraxia.
If this isn't a suitable place to ask some questions about this, I'd love if you could point me in the right direction.

So, first and foremost, do you think I should do this at all? I don't personally know anyone with dyspraxia, though I plan to do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people and generally make them feel like a real person who has dyspraxia, instead of a person with the on-paper symptoms of dyspraxia. Nevertheless, I understand if it gives you bad vibes- it can be really hard to tell what's fine and what's not for stuff like this. (I'm autistic, and I'm totally fine with non-autistic people writing autistic characters, but I feel real weird about non-autistic people writing or performing a proper meltdown. Why? Who knows!)

Second question is: Is there any good media already featuring dyspraxia, or something similar? I've watched a bit of Harriet Kemsley, and I've heard some mixed reception about the show Special (though I know that's about cerebral palsy), but I figure there's probably a lot more media out there. So I'd love some poetry, shows, books, etc. recommendations!

I have a couple questions that are more specific, but I think I'll leave them for later, so y'all can respond and I can do some more Thinkin.

Also, just for context, she's around 30 years old and lives in an old, pre-technology, isolated village. She's the daughter of the village 'mayor'. Her parents are pretty supportive, but she moves out of home pretty early to go on a Big Adventure.

I will await your responses! Thank you!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Writing a Dyspraxic Character

Post by Tom fod »

scooty20 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:01 am Hey All! Non-dyspraxic person here.

I'm writing a comic, and I want to add a character with dyspraxia.
If this isn't a suitable place to ask some questions about this, I'd love if you could point me in the right direction.

So, first and foremost, do you think I should do this at all? I don't personally know anyone with dyspraxia, though I plan to do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people and generally make them feel like a real person who has dyspraxia, instead of a person with the on-paper symptoms of dyspraxia. Nevertheless, I understand if it gives you bad vibes- it can be really hard to tell what's fine and what's not for stuff like this. (I'm autistic, and I'm totally fine with non-autistic people writing autistic characters, but I feel real weird about non-autistic people writing or performing a proper meltdown. Why? Who knows!)

Second question is: Is there any good media already featuring dyspraxia, or something similar? I've watched a bit of Harriet Kemsley, and I've heard some mixed reception about the show Special (though I know that's about cerebral palsy), but I figure there's probably a lot more media out there. So I'd love some poetry, shows, books, etc. recommendations!

I have a couple questions that are more specific, but I think I'll leave them for later, so y'all can respond and I can do some more Thinkin.

Also, just for context, she's around 30 years old and lives in an old, pre-technology, isolated village. She's the daughter of the village 'mayor'. Her parents are pretty supportive, but she moves out of home pretty early to go on a Big Adventure.

I will await your responses! Thank you!
We're primarily here for dyspraxic adults so you won't get a whole load of neurotypical people answering here.

If you're setting it in olden times dyspraxia won't be a known thing (granted it's fiction).

If you take case studies like Ryan in Dr Who it can be very easy to overdo the stereotypical difficulties your dyspraxic character might have. We don't necessarily fall over everyday and may be perfectly capable of tying shoe laces (if they're a thing in a pre-technology village) I would say drop in a few subtle instances of your character having small struggles with coordination/getting things to work as she wants or intends but don't overdo this. As dyspraxics we also have a tendency to get overwhelmed /overly frustrated so some traits/experiences and thoughts reactions an autistic character might have could be equally authentic for a dyspraxic character.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
scooty20
New member - welcome them!

Re: Writing a Dyspraxic Character

Post by scooty20 »

Hey! Thanks for responding!
Tom fod wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 pm If you're setting it in olden times dyspraxia won't be a known thing (granted it's fiction).
I should probably clarify- she starts off in a secluded village without technology, but the whole world is pretty fantasy, so she'll travel to some more modern and futuristic settings. At the start, she's gonna have no words for anything, and as she progresses, she'll start to better understand and articulate herself.
Tom fod wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 pm We don't necessarily fall over everyday and may be perfectly capable of tying shoe laces (if they're a thing in a pre-technology village) I would say drop in a few subtle instances of your character having small struggles with coordination/getting things to work as she wants or intends but don't overdo this.
Yeah, I was planning on having it show in small examples that don't necessarily draw attention- getting tripped up with certain tough words, mostly having clothes without laces or buttons, etc. But the dyspraxia will mostly affect what she doesn't do- since she lives in a village, most of the people are farmers, or do other tough labor involving dangerous tools. She contributes here and there, but generally beats herself up over not feeling 'helpful' enough. Working through that feeling is basically her first big character arc.

Also, I know that dyspraxia and autism are often linked, and she's totally gonna have some autistic traits (hyperfixating and going non-verbal when she's overwhelmed, mainly). Though I think playing up her frustration would work well, so thank you for that!

I'll have a look at some Doctor Who episodes with Ryan in them. Thanks again!