Worried about losing my job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vcb90
New member - welcome them!

Worried about losing my job

Post by Vcb90 »

Hey all I am currently in a training role and I am worried that i may lose it.As well as being dyspraxic I also have dyslexia,I was only diagnosed with both when i was in my mid 20s I am 33 now,al through my schooling i wad told i was lazy and tbat i could aheive more if i tried harder i qas basicly told by my teachers that i was stupid you could probably understand the aniexty that it gave me.I am trying really hard with this job but I dont think my manager fully understands where i am.coming from and why i find certain things harder.she keeps tell me i need to do it this way as thats the way she does it i understand where she is oming from but i just dont feel supported or understood and rexently she said to me i dont think you really want thia do you,and that took me right back to my school years and being told i was lazy and once again stupid.I am now seriously suffering with my mental health and i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of support or how i can get the people i work for to understand the difficulties i have.Thankyou
Shadwell

Re: Worried about losing my job

Post by Shadwell »

Welcome to the forum Vcb90, I think the massive problem is that Dyspraxia itself is such a massive spectrum between person to person, and while has been in the Media a fair bit over the last 26 years more now than ever thanks to the likes of Daniel Radcliffe etc, it still doesn't paint a large enough picture of the whole condition.

like yourself I was given my official diagnosis when I was in my 30's, so yes can understand the pent up frustration of others not understanding, and even their attitude to not even be willing to learn about the condition through pig headed stubborness, and idealistic ways, and unfortuneatly I cannot see a way to get around that, and at that point I tend to avoid those people altogether once I tried my best, it is far easier to walk away as they say, and sometimes the only way to stop yourself from getting more built up anger at them, as well as to yourself.

that said it is far harder to do the last part when it is part of your job. yes one way might work for your boss, but part of the condition means we are thinkers, we can do things a different way when allowed, and usually to some better outcome than doing it someone else's way, which is going to out perform trying to learn their way all the time, because it is like the left hand trying to use a right handed pealer for example, so we use a knife until the shops started selling left handed pealers, now they make pealers rock, and back to stage 1!

so my advice would be to try coming up with a solution to the problem, nobody does things like in school whereby a got to come before b in the alphabet. somethings have got to be done that way, but some things can be done a-c-b.