Disclosing dyspraxia to a new employer

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

galactic_dyspraxic
New member - welcome them!

Disclosing dyspraxia to a new employer

Post by galactic_dyspraxic »

So I've been out of work for ages! Since before pandemic in fact. But i got a job offer! It's exciting. However, i know i need to tell them I am dyspraxic and was diagnosed at age 4. I have had issues in the past at the workplace, and know that my dyspraxia was a a huge contributor to that. But I never thought to disclose it to past employers. How the heck do i tell them? I haven't accepted the job yet, as i may want to let them know before hand. I don't want to swell on it and make it seem like I can't do the job because i know I can with the right accommodations!

Any advice?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Disclosing dyspraxia to a new employer

Post by Tom fod »

galactic_dyspraxic wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:32 pm So I've been out of work for ages! Since before pandemic in fact. But i got a job offer! It's exciting. However, i know i need to tell them I am dyspraxic and was diagnosed at age 4. I have had issues in the past at the workplace, and know that my dyspraxia was a a huge contributor to that. But I never thought to disclose it to past employers. How the heck do i tell them? I haven't accepted the job yet, as i may want to let them know before hand. I don't want to dwell on it and make it seem like I can't do the job because i know I can with the right accommodations!

Any advice?
Hi

Firstly many congratulations on getting a job offer.

I't always a good idea to look at any organisations policies on encouraging people with Disabilities/differences. That said, it can sometimes be a question of are they effectively applying these policies and giving employees and their managers sufficient flexibility in how these policies are applied in order that people can be their best and most effective.

From the application process so far are there any specific questions or concerns you have in regard to settling in and picking up the responsibilities of the new role? Have you a sense of what reasonable adjustments/accommodations you'll need in order to carry out the role as has been described to you?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)