Access to Work advice

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PapaD74
New member - welcome them!

Access to Work advice

Post by PapaD74 »

I'm in the process of going through Access to Work and am finding it incredibly frustrating - after suggesting I may benefit from a support worker, I was asked to provide 3 quotes for such a worker, via employment agencies. When I asked for clarification I was told to "google it". I supplied what I thought was being asked for (having sought further advice and chatted with friends and colleagues) and was then told my application could be taken no further as I had not done what was needed! A strong email from me later and a phonecall from them yesterday (with my wife listening in and taking notes so I could be sure it wasn't my misunderstanding of instructions) has now led to me understanding that they want 3 quotes from "companies which actually supply support workers for dyspraxia" and the advice was increased to "google dyspraxia support worker". I am not getting very far finding what is needed and wondered if anyone else had any experience of this process and could shed any light?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Access to Work advice

Post by Tom fod »

PapaD74 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:17 pm I'm in the process of going through Access to Work and am finding it incredibly frustrating - after suggesting I may benefit from a support worker, I was asked to provide 3 quotes for such a worker, via employment agencies. When I asked for clarification I was told to "google it".

I supplied what I thought was being asked for (having sought further advice and chatted with friends and colleagues) and was then told my application could be taken no further as I had not done what was needed! A strong email from me later and a phonecall from them yesterday (with my wife listening in and taking notes so I could be sure it wasn't my misunderstanding of instructions) has now led to me understanding that they want 3 quotes from "companies which actually supply support workers for dyspraxia" and the advice was increased to "google dyspraxia support worker".

I am not getting very far finding what is needed and wondered if anyone else had any experience of this process and could shed any light?

Hi and welcome PapaD74

From what I've heard A2W, is not working well with long wait lists reported by other people I've spoken to. I'm disappointed about your experience but regrettably not all that surprised.

Anyway, I believe I can at least offer a more helpful response than they provided. There are a number of organisations (and individuals) who provide in work support and strategy coaching for Neurodivergent employees including those who are dyspraxic.

In no particular order these include
Exceptional Individuals
Genius Within
Diverse Learners
Creased Puddle (I've yet to work out the why re the name!)
Remploy

There are plenty of other organisations and individuals working as providers in this space.

I'd suggest googling something like:
<training + Access to Work site: .uk>
Removing <> no harm in putting dyspraxia in there or using Google advanced search to help you format. Other search engines exist.

See also viewtopic.php?t=7385

Hope this helps
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Access to Work advice

Post by Tom fod »

TristanT wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:43 pm Hello and thank you for the feedback, the information helps me too.
Hi Tristan
Welcome to the Tribe!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)