65 years old - just learned there is something called dyspraxia

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MarieFromCda
New member - welcome them!

65 years old - just learned there is something called dyspraxia

Post by MarieFromCda »

Hi all.

I suspect that I'm dyspraxic. Recently, I happened across a UK website that outlined some of the indicators that could possibly indicate dyspraxia in an individual. Many of the characteristics listed were ones that I relate to. I printed off the list and went through it, thinking about experiences that I've had during my life. It's all very interesting.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: 65 years old - just learned there is something called dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Marie

Firstly, apologies for slowness in acknowledging and responding. A lot of people only come to the realisation later in life. Regrettably it can often be difficult to get formal confirmation, if you need that. Most groups, including this one, make no distinction and people whether they have been through a medical or educational assessment or are self-discovered /declaring.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MarieFromCda
New member - welcome them!

Re: 65 years old - just learned there is something called dyspraxia

Post by MarieFromCda »

Hi Tom.

Thanks for your response.

When I started using the internet a lot in the year 2000, I found forums about HSP (Highly Sensitive Person), MBTI (Myers Briggs), Enneagram etc. I was in my 40s when I learned that I'm introverted, and that an introvert's brain is just wired differently than an extravert's brain. My young life was spent feeling ashamed of how I am and trying to find a way of being that would leave me feeling like I was welcome here with the other humans I met. All I did was fail. I've always been an outsider. So, I behaved in ways that were not the authentic me. The inauthentic me couldn't manage socially either, which is completely understandable.

I'm lucky in that my husband and I are compatible. He is introverted too. Retirement and this pandemic have found us becoming more and more reclusive.

As I read through the list of of indicators of Dyspraxia / DCD in an individual, I relate to many. Gross Motor Co-ordination, spatial awareness, balance, etc.

At this stage of life, a formal diagnosis would have little value, I think. But understanding that being this way isn't a shameful thing is helpful. I do wish that there had been an earlier understanding and some kind of supports available to help me learn. My life situation is such that I just muddled through as best that I could. Mostly on my own. Which is what most people do, I would guess.