I’m dyspraxic - now what?

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kerrily
New member - welcome them!

I’m dyspraxic - now what?

Post by kerrily »

Hi there!

My name is Kerry and I’ve just received a very unexpected diagnosis of dyspraxia at the age of 29!

I approached my uni about an ADHD assessment (which I have - inattentive type) and they sent me for a dyslexia/dyspraxia assessment alongside it. And to my surprise, I’m dyspraxic! \:D/

My understanding of the condition is limited and my uni were very much like “you have dyspraxia, we’ll do xyz to make your life easier…” but now I’m left thinking what do I do now? Did anyone else feel lost after a diagnosis? I was expecting my ADHD result so I’d already mentally prepared myself for that, but there’s not a lot of information available on dyspraxia online.

If anyone else was diagnosed as an adult, how did you tell your family? Did you need to put extra measures in place at work? Do I need to tell my GP? So many questions!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I’m dyspraxic - now what?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Kerry

V much so, I learned in 2010/11 in my mid 30s and joined this Forum soon after. We're seemingly told and then left to our own devices to figure out what it means for us, who to tell etc. I haven't openly spoken to my parents about it though I could point to traits I have, that they have (or had) too. My employer encouraged me to apply to Access to Work but to be honest I had 30 years of doing things in my own awkward way and don't like change. Most of the suggested adjustments were difficult to implement and/or rejected by myself as most were related to my visual impairment rather than dyspraxia related difficulties. The knowledge and some CBT I had pre-revelation has helped me to be kinder and more accepting of myself for the things I cannot do as well/quickly enough for my own liking.

I'm aware of instances where GPs have not been accepting of non-clinical assessments, but then in the UK it can be a lottery for an adult to score a diagnosis on the NHS.

Please do check out viewtopic.php?t=7385
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: I’m dyspraxic - now what?

Post by ALADDIN »

Hi Kerry

I am aged 44.

I had an Aspergers assessment aged 25, I have Aspergers traits only does not help.

I knew I had dyspraxia aged 23, I received a diagnosis of dyspraxia aged 33, my GP, would not accept my report .

I had a diagnosis of ADHD, aged 41, August 2020.

My family could never help me.

My sister is a doctor , she does not care ,

My GP, could never help.

I was told I was clumsy aged 9, and that would
get better as an adult .