Dyspraxia and flying

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

AlexB
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia and flying

Post by AlexB »

Hey everyone! First time poster here but I was wondering, does anyone know the rules and regulations around people with dyspraxia flying small aircraft and gliders? I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was 10 (21 now) and have always had a love for flying which has transitioned into my degree and hobbies where I joined a gliding club to go to in my spare time which has gone well so far. One issue I had with this is I don’t actually know the regulations surrounding dyspraxia for gliding or private pilot licenses and was wondering if this is something which could hinder me in the training process as I haven’t openly disclosed this with my training instructors or the club itself. I should say I haven’t had any issues relating to it so far with gliding but I am concerned if I go for a PPL it might cause an issue especially if they want medical history. Any help is appreciated or if someone wants to know more feel free to ask!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia and flying

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Alex and Welcome

You'd have to ask a Medical Professional, but there's no guarantee they'd know and I would suspect their checklist would concentrate on good overall health and no history of heart or other conditions that could potentially cause blackouts

You haven't specified whether you're UK-based, with driving a car there's no obligation to disclose to the DVLA is Dyspraxia is a specific learning difficulty rather than a learning disability (whereby you are now obliged to declare (for driving a car)

We've had at least one bus driver, a helmsman from a passenger ferry and an arborist certified to climbs trees with a chainsaw. All Dyspraxics are affected differently and to different degrees.

There is regrettably a lack of awareness about dyspraxia and that can cause some to become risk averse due to lack of knowledge where they see the name of the nebulous condition rather than the person.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)