Getting assessed as an adult in Tasmania, Australia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Spike
New member - welcome them!

Getting assessed as an adult in Tasmania, Australia

Post by Spike »

I am in Tasmania, Australia and I have never been assessed, but have coped with lack of coordination and clumsiness for as long as I can remember and now I am at retirement age, although I am still working as at teacher. I completed an online questionnaire and came out as "at risk". If anyone could tell me how I could go about getting assessed in Tasmania, i would really appreciate it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Getting assessed as an adult in Tasmania, Australia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Spike

Please note this is not an response specific for Au/Tasmania

Do your employer offer any kind of Occupational Health Scheme/service? Are you looking to find a way to compel your employer to make reasonable adjustments in the workplace?

For Adults an Assessor would ask about your experiences in childhood/growing up and conduct WAIS IV to see if you have a 'spiky profile' (excelling or 'normal' in some areas but with unexplained deficits in others.

Assessing for Dyspraxia (AKA DCD) in Adults is often more difficult because coping strategies we've developed will often mask the more obvious traits, we would/might have exhibited more obviously in childhood/youth. Dyspraxia is not something that can be detected from blood or genetic tests so if anyone makes such claims, I'd strongly recommend not paying them a cent.

Another possible option might be if you have someone who assesses pupils for specific learning difficulties, to have a chat with them.

Sorry I can't give you a more encouraging response
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)