Help

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucy88
New member - welcome them!

Help

Post by Lucy88 »

Hi everyone looking for some advice, I have always been sensitive but since losing my dad 7 years ago then the sudden loss of the family dog in December I’ve been prone to crying for no reason. I hadn’t realised how much of a routine I had of walking him 3 times a day and find myself feeling lost and teary all the time. I had seen my doctors who put me on antidepressants and sent me to a therapist only for her to tell me she is unable to help me but has referred me to see if I have any other learning disability. I guess what I’m asking is how do you cope with the loss of routine and beloved pet. When you suffer from general anxiety and random crying
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Firstly please remember there's no right or wrong way to grieve and we all process and deal with grief and loss differently.

Difficulty processing emotions is often seen as a trait of Neurodivergent conditions including but not limited to Dyspraxia, ADHD and Autism. Neurodivergent folk trying to fit into a neurological world so often struggle with and/or are prone to mental health conditions like anxiety and/or depression.

To where or to whom has your therapist referred you re assessment of learning disability? Advice for next steps varies depending on where you are and your individual circumstances,such as age employment status etc.

Nomenclature varies according to where your located. In the UK dyspraxia falls under the umbrella of Specific Learning Dfficulties (SPLD) A Learning Disability in the UK is on the same footing as an intellectual Disability, which is the terminology used in North America.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: Help

Post by FrankieSoup »

:ghug: Firstly, many hugs to you and I’m so sorry about your dad and your dog.

Secondly, grief takes however long it takes - sometimes a lifetime, and that’s ok. I think because compassionate leave only lasts a certain number of days/weeks, we expect to feel better within that amount of time.

The best advice I can give is to let yourself feel bad - other things can wait. If you give yourself a day in bed to cry and watch absolute crap on the internet (my favourite coping mechanism - others are available) then other days can feel a bit easier. Prioritise your feelings, and in those moments, take the advice that you would give a treasured friend.

We lost my in-laws in 2018, and I still miss my grandparents who died at the start of the 00s - initially I tried to power through but it just didn’t work - it was only in lockdown when I surrendered to my sadness that I began to feel better.

I’m here if you want to talk more- feel free to dm me. Xx