Speaking fast

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

ravenm26
New member - welcome them!

Speaking fast

Post by ravenm26 »

hi everyone

And does anybody else find that they can speak fast and you don’t even realise it till somebody tells you you or is it the opposite when are you speaking . If so what things do to manage it ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Speaking fast

Post by Tom fod »

You could ask people to politely remind you if you start speaking too quickly.

Often it's a nervous reaction or possibly learned because in the past others have been impatient and/or resistant to letting you speak.

Pausing at the end of a sentence by bringing it to a definite end may also be a strategy you could implement and practice.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ravenm26
New member - welcome them!

Post by ravenm26 »

Tom fod wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:57 pm You could ask people to politely remind you if you start speaking too quickly.

Often it's a nervous reaction or possibly learned because in the past others have been impatient and/or resistant to letting you speak.

Pausing at the end of a sentence by bringing it to a definite end may also be a strategy you could implement and practice.
People do tell me to repeat which I don’t mind . I just wanted to see if any else had some experience with that since it’s only recently that I was told I had dyslexia but at the same time I was told I was giving this diagnose when I was a kid which has made me wonder if there was a link in someway .
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Many with dyspraxia do have challenges with speaking, inc regulation of volume. Some have more significant struggles and have the diagnosis of Verbal Dyspraxia.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)