26 years old, only just realising and accepting

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

effffs
New member - welcome them!

26 years old, only just realising and accepting

Post by effffs »

Hey guys

I have completed many of the self online tests for dyspraxia which all seem to confirm my theory. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD, major depressive disorder and anxiety by a psychiatrist in the past.

Just seeking information for a professional assessment for dyspraxia and/or developmental coordination disorder (DCD) in Melbourne, if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

While I’m here I’ll share my little story
I’ve always felt a little slower at processing information compared to others, am very forgetful or find it hard to concentrate, and definitely lack confidence and assertiveness.

I was often described as an introvert or the quiet weird girl growing up so I continued to keep to myself, finding it hard to explain myself or my thoughts properly to others, along with a little bit of shame for being different.

It has come to my attention very recently as an adult that I do have day to day difficulties, and have always in the past growing up. I learned this on my own, but my current and most supportive boyfriend has gently brought to my attention things that don’t click as well as they should, for example I went to school with him we grew up in the same suburb which I still locally live in and I continue to find it hard to remember how to drive to locations I have lived in all my life (awful at directions and experience brain fog), I find it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time, when he shows me simple tasks/gestures I can’t exactly mimic them, I can’t take in a lot of information at once it just gets scrambled in my brain, and I am very clumsy always bumping into him, walls, objects or standing in his way, my depth perception and coordination is very poor.

I really don’t know how no one had noticed this before (past boyfriends, family or teachers), however now being an adult I notice it quite a lot which can be very frustrating.
Little things in the past make sense too, for example me not being able to learn how to ride a bike, taking a longer time than other children to learn how to tie my shoe laces and reading slowly or out of rhythm.

This is the first time I am admitting and accepting of this so apologies for the paragraph, there is so much more, but I’m sure you all know the feeling! Thank youuuu 8-[
Even finding this forum to have an out let and read similar stories helps so much, I am open to anyone wanting to relate or share their own stories with me in return
Jim
Super poster

Re: 26 years old, only just realising and accepting

Post by Jim »

Those do sound very much like dyspraxic traits.

Try not to feel too embarrassed by it though, it’s not as though you asked to have these difficulties. Just view it as though you’re approaching life from a slightly different direction.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
EmilyyNics
Getting settled in

Post by EmilyyNics »

Never be ashamed of the person who you are....be proud of how far you've come!!!
Emily :)
Racenolest
New member - welcome them!

Post by Racenolest »

It feels like walking through life with a double helping of curve balls, you know? But hey, maybe that makes us better at juggling!