My work are more worried than me

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JRB
New member - welcome them!

My work are more worried than me

Post by JRB »

Hi

New here and looking for some advice, I was diagnosed with dyspraxia a few years ago now, I am 23 and working as a teacher. In the last few weeks I have had two falls, one at home and the other at work. A couple of days ago I nearly lost my balance again. I understand it is my dyspraxia but my work are a lot more worried than I.

How can I help them to understand the condition more and realise that I have put a lot in place to help myself and they can't make the whole of my workplace dyspraxic proof. Falls and loosing balance are just a part of my dyspraxia.

Any advice would be appreciated at this stage.

Thanks in advance

JRB
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: My work are more worried than me

Post by FrankieSoup »

No advice re advocacy but wanted to say that it may be worth a quick call to the gp. I was falling more than usual and it turned out to be a massive folate deficiency rather than dyspraxia. It’s easy to minimise stuff going on as just stuff we’re used to but sometimes it is something more…

If it’s not anything more complex, then maybe a print out of symptoms off the dyspraxia foundation website? My friends and family are a lot less caring so it’s not something I’ve ever come up against!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: My work are more worried than me

Post by Tom fod »

I second Fran in recommending you speak to your GP to reassure yourself/your employer that there is not any other underlying cause.

Whilst such accidents can easily be put down to dyspraxia and stress can ramp up the likelihood of these, especially if we're rushing about with a hundred other things on our mind, there are other potential causes that it would be best to rule out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)