Reasonable Adjustments

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Reasonable Adjustments

Post by FrankieSoup »

Hi everyone,

I recently got my dyspraxia diagnosis from university. It was all a bit unceremonious and felt a lot like, 'here's your report, now tell us what you need'.

The thing is, I don't actually know what I need - hence going to see student support in the first place! :lol: :lol:

The report suggested longer time in exams, sitting exams alone, and using assistive software such as the read aloud function on PDFs. I do the last thing anyway, and the other two will be very welcome, but I feel like that in itself isn't going to assuage the constant feeling of 'drowning in words' that I have right now.

So... I have a meeting on the 4th March and I'm making a list of some things that I think might help me (not sure - haven't tried yet!) but wondered if:
a) these seem reasonable
b) anyone has any additional suggestions.

I'm planning on asking for:
  • A map of streets around campus where I'm allowed to park my car (or a parking permit if they're feeling really generous) because the stress of parking/leaving in enough time to park is real.
  • A dictaphone to record lectures. I know I could do it on a smartphone, but I don't use one because I find them waaaay too distracting. :lol:
  • That I be allowed to use the referencing style I spent my previous degree learning, rather then the one this uni favours (both accepted styles) and if not, that I have someone sit down and explain this new one to me because it's where I'm dropping most marks.
  • The icing on the cake would be all essay based assessments, but that's probably super unlikely :P
  • Getting reading lists during the holidays would also be magic, but I know that's difficult when courses are constantly changing around covid restrictions.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Reasonable Adjustments

Post by Tom fod »

It can be like, well we've given a name/reason for why you've struggled, we'll make these adjustments and don't you dare struggle anymore. To me they read like eminently reasonable suggestions

Worth checking out orgs like Diverse Learners, Genius Within or Exceptional Individuals - asking if they can provide a coach/mentor who can assist with study support including breaking down and explaining the referencing. Are you applying for DSA to fund the adjustments?

Have they no parking on-site? Or could they recommend places and have someone give you a tour of the area to back up seeing it on a map
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

It's a city centre campus, so what little parking there is, is limited to staff/blue-badge holders.

Thank you for the list of organisations to check - I will definitely take a look there!

It can be like, well we've given a name/reason for why you've struggled, we'll make these adjustments and don't you dare struggle anymore.
<--- This is exactly the vibe I'm getting... I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad of whatever help they can offer - I really am - but there is an element of 'now be on your way' to everything. I guess this is where being older really comes in useful - I would never have had the courage to go down this route at 18, much less to keep plugging away and actually asking for stuff.
Shivanot1972
New member - welcome them!

Post by Shivanot1972 »

I have been there too, i feel for you, we just have to keep fighting and believing in ourselves, one day people will understand.
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Just wanted to give a quick update:

I've had another meeting with student support and I take it all back - they have been so incredibly helpful. I've now got a weekly appointment with someone to help me plan the work I need to do, in addition to having access to someone to help me proofread the referencing system I've been struggling with. I'm really glad I reached out, and I really hope that this is indicative of the sort of help available to everyone who approaches the department.