New house problems

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Arook
New member - welcome them!

New house problems

Post by Arook »

Hi all,

I’m really upset and annoyed at myself as my spatial awareness problems keep causing issues in our brand new house. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was 16, I am now 32 it’s caused problems in our homes before, once smashed a sink but it didn’t matter as much as was renting!

It’s the first time I’ve owned my own place. My partner has done all the painting and work like that, I helped by passing things! However I keep ruining all his lovely painting work. I’ve fallen into the walls and left greasy marks and stains, I’ve also scuffed a a coffee table and a few things when tripping up. I’m just so upset about it, my partner is not trying to get annoyed but it is frustrating it keeps happening.

Wondering if any of you have any tips or advice? Sounds silly but just so annoyed at myself, and it might also make me feel better if you’ve got similar stories about stuff like this happening in your own homes!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New house problems

Post by Tom fod »

I too like perfection, bot regrettably maintaining it is far from easy. Nothing lasts forever and you have to expect and accept a certain amount of wear and tear. Of course its all the more frustrating when these mishaps occur despite your v best efforts of trying to be careful

Would be worth looking at what you can do to try to minimise trip and other hazards. Do the trips happen as you're rushing about trying to ensure it looks like a show home that forbids entry to the public?

How did you manage to smash a sink? Would have thought you'd have to hit ir with a hammer or something?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Arook

Post by Arook »

Thank you for the reply!

I think they definitely do happen when I’m rushing around and not concentrating on what I’m doing. I think maybe we can move stuff around in the house to make it a bit easier too. And yes will have to accept wear and tear does happen!

I dropped my moisturiser in the sink and it smashed it leaving a huge hole! A very expensive mishap 😅
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

We need jobs paying us to test products for durability!

My place is a mess so I have to move slowly to weave around various hazards
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
timeless

Post by timeless »

One thing that kinda helps me is using those wall protector pads. You know, those little cushiony things you stick on corners? They've saved my walls from a lot of accidental abuse. Also, rugs are my best friends. They add a bit of cushion for the occasional stumble, and it's way better than leaving scuff marks on the floor.
Elwoodyn

Post by Elwoodyn »

"Testing products for durability sounds like it could be both fun and rewarding." Moving slowly to avoid hazards in a messy place can be frustrating. Maybe take it one step at a time and tackle small sections at a time to make it more manageable.
Bernyshepperds

Post by Bernyshepperds »

I feel your pain with the new house problems. It's like you finally get settled in, and then bam, something goes wrong, right? It can be super frustrating dealing with repairs and all the extra costs that come with it. One option you might consider is reaching out to cash house buyers.

Admin Comment: Berney You won't be adding a link to some dodgy we buy any home site as you've been banned from the group
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Public Warning issued