Doors and Drawers

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

The12Sruggles
New member - welcome them!

Doors and Drawers

Post by The12Sruggles »

Is it just me, or does anyone else have struggles with door and/or drawers? I have troubles opening them sometimes, or I get caught on the handles. Door frames are not so bad, but for some reason I just cannot open doors with those metal turn handles! Is this just me? ](*,)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Doors and Drawers

Post by Tom fod »

Door knobs are in my experience more recalcitrant/difficult.

Def find I have a tendency to get hooked up on door handles (more so than knobs)

Drawers particularly in older furniture can be a pain esp if overloaded.
I've definitely found myself at odds with doors and drawers.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lauragorf

Post by lauragorf »

Car locksmiths usually don't deal with house locks, doors, or handles. I even had an incident once with a rude locksmith whom I called to fix my door lock. I was surprised when he got to my house and asked where is the car. It turned out he works with car doors only. There are no words to describe how mad he was and what dirty words he used.
Afterward, a close friend referred to me locksmith bow e3- get it here their official website with great reviews and prices.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

williamarny wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:14 pm I don’t struggle with opening doors, but I have a problem with slamming doors, cupboards and windows. Most of the time I’m not even aware of it, until someone asks me why I’m angry. My mom recently bought the french doors she wanted do buy for a long time from [Illegal Advertising removed! ] and she warned me if I slam the new doors, she will be very mad. If I pay attention to the process of closing the door, I can usually stop myself from slamming it. But most of the time, you close a door unconsciously. I also struggle with door locks, it seems that my brain forgets how to use a key to unlock a door. I don’t even know why mom wanted new doors with a person who has mild dyspraxia in her house.
Why do you think we won't spot illegal advertising?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Askinator

Post by Askinator »

You're definitely not alone! I've also had my share of struggles with doors and drawers, especially the ones with those tricky metal turn handles. It's like they were designed to test our patience, isn't it?
Askinator

Post by Askinator »

Door frames generally aren't much of a problem for me either, but I can totally relate to getting caught on handles. If you're finding this to be a frequent issue, you might consider swapping out those metal turn handles for lever-style ones. They're much easier to operate and can be a real game-changer.
Since the thread is a year old, I'm not sure if you've already found a solution or not. But if you're still having issues or planning some home improvements, you should check out www.royalindustrialdoors.net. They have a wide range of doors, including ones with more ergonomic handles, and they offer installation services too. They might have something that could make your life a bit easier.