Dyspraxia and gym

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mattais
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia and gym

Post by Mattais »

Hi all,
I'm new on here and wanted to see if anyone has any advice/experiences the same thing.

I have just finished a PT session and we spent around 30 mins on one exercise. I really struggled to get the technique, involving keeping your shoulders back and your chest open whilst bending and lifting weights. It's something I regular struggle with. Although my PT is patient and tries to explain the technique in different ways I end up getting frustrated at myself and my confidence goes, effecting self esteem. it's like a cycle.

Just wanted to see if anyone is experiences the same thing and how you 'get over/through it'

Thanks
Nobarrierstraining

Re: Dyspraxia and gym

Post by Nobarrierstraining »

Hi there,

I went through the same thing and same issues re keeping chest out and shoulders back when weightlifting.

It took about eight weeks of working with my PT before it got easier but regards to shoulders, I visualise myself squeezing an egg between my shoulder blades and that helps with keeping the shoulders back.

In terms of keeping the chest open I just imagine myself being very proud about something and it helps to keep it open.

I've just qualified as a personal trainer, because of how useful I found PT.

Hope this helps somewhat!
Mattais

Post by Mattais »

Thank you for the tips. Really appreciate it and it is nice to hear other people experiencing same thing as I tend to give myself a hard time.
sarah-cg

Post by sarah-cg »

Hi Mattius,

I like to stick to gym “equipment”, like rowing machine, bikes, weights that are on a frame to guide you through the right movement. It might not be for everyone but I find it helps to have my motion guided.
VinnyMayo

Post by VinnyMayo »

Don't worry; you're not alone in struggling with certain exercises or techniques. Feeling frustrated and losing confidence when something doesn't come quickly is normal. You could break the training into smaller parts and practice each piece separately. This can help you build up to the whole movement and better understand what you're doing. I work as a personal trainer after taking the professional course at [URL Removed by Admin No prior permission sought for sharing advertising links], and this is the method which IMO helps the most
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Joe Suarez

Post by Joe Suarez »

It's not uncommon to struggle with certain exercises or movements during physical training, especially when they involve complex techniques or require a high level of coordination. Here are some tips that may help you overcome this challenge:

Practice: Repetition is key when it comes to mastering a technique. Keep practicing the exercise with your PT, and try doing it on your own as well. The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you'll become.

Break it down: Sometimes, trying to do the whole exercise at once can be overwhelming. Ask your PT to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps, and focus on mastering one step at a time before moving on to the next.

Visualize: Visualize yourself performing the exercise correctly in your mind before actually doing it. This can help you develop a better understanding of the technique and improve your muscle memory.

Use props: Sometimes, using props such as resistance bands or stability balls can help you get a better feel for the exercise and improve your technique.

Be patient: Remember that it takes time to master a new exercise or movement. Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get it right away. Keep practicing, and celebrate small improvements along the way.

Communicate with your PT: Let your PT know how you're feeling and what you're struggling with. They may be able to offer additional tips or modifications to help you improve your technique.

Remember, everyone struggles with certain exercises at some point in their training journey. The key is to stay patient, keep practicing, and don't let frustration or self-doubt hold you back.
sarahfran32333

Post by sarahfran32333 »

Hello, I am new here but have often wondered if I had dyspraxia. When completing the questionnaire to test I could not help laughing as so many things resonated. I am 52 years young female who has always suffered quite embarrassing coordination problems so did not really challenge myself in P.E. at school & as an adult luckily do not embarrass as easily as perhaps I should. I remember my last foray into exercise jazz dance (complete with tap shoes) meant I left early in tears as I felt like a duck. I have not pushed myself/tested much as an adult - always had low esteem/confidence for driving lessons & one instructor asked genuinely if I had injured my arm as a child - my friends said he was being sarcastic but I asked my mum if she had noticed anything different about me!!! Also, I could not sit still for the hour's lesson as my back felt awkward & I tended to leave my arms & legs outstretched like hovering near the pedals so felt very unnatural.

As a child I was an introverted loner, youngest of 3, two brothers, and my mother indulged me by letting my stay off primary school, my secondary teachers accepted me but never pushed me to do P.E. other than just turn up as I could never really complete any coordinated movements enough e.g. to serve at tennis, cookery and home economic courses were excruciating & I used to contemplate playing hooky to avoid my perceived humiliation.

The reason why I am making contact really is because I have just failed the physical intervention part of training to be a door supervisor as I could not follow/replicate the tutor's requests to do the physical intervention moves on someone and I realise not being able to follow exercise programs is going to hold me back - from getting fit as I need to do this to lose weight for my own good but more importantly I am trying to settle on a new career at my tender age which means taking on my physical coordination challenges. These are exciting times and I need to put my best foot forward - as I have opportunities to be a general Cover Teacher at a secondary school known for its performing arts record (how ironic!!) and an offer from HM Prisons subject to fitness!!!

Can anyone guide me as to what general sports / exercises / self-help I might do rather than potentially have to put a label on my "condition" or maybe I should? Perhaps then I could get people to make allowances/accommodation rather than just feel that I am at a social disadvantage or worse in certain settings? The one people laugh at... Sometimes not for all the tea in china could I hope to be able to do ballroom dancing or even simpler coordinated activities....

Thanks for your advice.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

sarahfran32333 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm Hello, I am new here but have often wondered if I had dyspraxia. When completing the questionnaire to test I could not help laughing as so many things resonated. I am 52 years young female who has always suffered quite embarrassing coordination problems so did not really challenge myself in P.E. at school & as an adult luckily do not embarrass as easily as perhaps I should. I remember my last foray into exercise jazz dance (complete with tap shoes) meant I left early in tears as I felt like a duck. I have not pushed myself/tested much as an adult - always had low esteem/confidence for driving lessons & one instructor asked genuinely if I had injured my arm as a child - my friends said he was being sarcastic but I asked my mum if she had noticed anything different about me!!! Also, I could not sit still for the hour's lesson as my back felt awkward & I tended to leave my arms & legs outstretched like hovering near the pedals so felt very unnatural.

As a child I was an introverted loner, youngest of 3, two brothers, and my mother indulged me by letting my stay off primary school, my secondary teachers accepted me but never pushed me to do P.E. other than just turn up as I could never really complete any coordinated movements enough e.g. to serve at tennis, cookery and home economic courses were excruciating & I used to contemplate playing hooky to avoid my perceived humiliation.

The reason why I am making contact really is because I have just failed the physical intervention part of training to be a door supervisor as I could not follow/replicate the tutor's requests to do the physical intervention moves on someone and I realise not being able to follow exercise programs is going to hold me back - from getting fit as I need to do this to lose weight for my own good but more importantly I am trying to settle on a new career at my tender age which means taking on my physical coordination challenges. These are exciting times and I need to put my best foot forward - as I have opportunities to be a general Cover Teacher at a secondary school known for its performing arts record (how ironic!!) and an offer from HM Prisons subject to fitness!!!

Can anyone guide me as to what general sports / exercises / self-help I might do rather than potentially have to put a label on my "condition" or maybe I should? Perhaps then I could get people to make allowances/accommodation rather than just feel that I am at a social disadvantage or worse in certain settings? The one people laugh at... Sometimes not for all the tea in china could I hope to be able to do ballroom dancing or even simpler coordinated activities....

Thanks for your advice.
Hi Sarah and welcome

Always better to start a new post to be noticed and you are worthy of that! We do often feel like outsiders and tend to compare ourselves to the point it seriously harms our confidence and self-esteem.

I would encourage you to find a gym/personal trainer who understands dyspraxia, such people do exist and some are dyspraxic too!

The Prison Service or other civi service employers are more open to people declaring dyspraxia/suspected dyspraxia though you'd still need to meet those fitness criteria learn physical intervention/restraint techniques and perform these as part of a team effort. There are dyspraxics doing these kinds of things and some have posted here in response to similar questions from others.

We're all different so without knowing you it's difficult to say what sorts of activities would get you the results you want. Probably more critical is finding a patient instructor and an environment where you feel less self-conscious about your abilities (or lack thereof) and can start to put memories of the times you were laughed at and the associated anxieties to permanent rest.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
stacyschrist

Post by stacyschrist »

As someone who's struggled with dyspraxia myself, I understand the difficulties of finding a gym or personal trainer who's knowledgeable and patient. It's great to hear that there are trainers out there who understand dyspraxia and can help guide you through your fitness journey.If you're looking for employment in certain fields, it's good to know that declaring dyspraxia/suspected dyspraxia might be beneficial, especially in places like the Prison Service or other civil service jobs. However, the most important thing is finding an instructor and environment that make you feel comfortable and supported. Don't let past negative experiences hold you back from achieving your fitness goals. On a side note, have you checked out [Advertising URL removed by Admin]? They have some amazing garden gyms that are both fancy and modern, perfect for anyone looking to work out in the comfort of their own backyard.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
stacyschrist

Post by stacyschrist »

Don't worry, everybody goes trough this when they start going to the gym
montabatoro

Post by montabatoro »

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry; you're not alone in facing technique challenges. I've been there too. It's all about practice and patience. Your PT sounds great; keep communicating your struggles with them. Over time, you'll build confidence, and those exercises will become second nature. Also, being in an accepting gym group [Illegal url removed by Admin Poster Banned] helps. Stay positive!