Diagnosed with Autism, ADHD but it's Dyspraxia Help me someone!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lettiejp
New member - welcome them!

Diagnosed with Autism, ADHD but it's Dyspraxia Help me someone!

Post by Lettiejp »

I'm 43 this year and struggle with my life. I cannot start jobs and I find it hard to bend down to get in my fridge and in shops. I'm always in the way! my co-ordination is poor. I think this is Dyspraxia and I'm not believed. I've tried to get a diagnosis and the Dr doesn't believe me..What do I do? I had a diagnosis of Autism and later ADHD and know I have PDA and Dyspraxia as well some development problems. I find maths difficult and lose my temper , I just wish I wasn't like this
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Diagnosed with Autism, ADHD but it's Dyspraxia Help me someone!

Post by Tom fod »

Doctors can be annoyingly unwilling to review their own or their peers previous diagnoses. All too often it seems that if someone is deemed to have an autistic spectrum condition that precludes their being given a dyspraxia diagnosis on top as what is seen as autistic (but might be dyspraxic) holds sway. The frustration that we understandably feel due to our belief that we don't fit well into the ASC mould. If this causes our frustrations to boil over some twat will say he/she is clearly having an autistic meltdown. It's a sh*t sandwich! Equally if we want to withdraw from the world that can be viewed as indicative of being non-verbal.

You're welcome here as self-identifying.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Hi lettiejp

I feel for you even though I was diagnosed as dyspraxic and now wonder whether I am autistic. I was diagnosed in the mid 90s and never met another person diagnosed with dyspraxia until recently. As well I have only recently been finding out about so many cross overs as well as how it all can affect ones mental health. How much of this is to get the correct diagnosis relating to self identity and also getting the correct help. Both are important and can have an effect on our feelings.
Aaron
Getting settled in

Post by Aaron »

Hi

I have just looked up what PDA means with autism and it is Pathological Demand Avoidance. I am now trying to calm down. Is this me lol!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There are loads of profiles associated with Autism, ADHD, Dyspraxia and other Neurodivergent conditions. It's good to have self awareness of the traits but I think we can also be prey to the psychological impact of all that others and we think is 'wrong' about us. We care very deeply about trying to be the best people we can be. Regrettably it's a vicious double edged sword too and it's not easy to break the cycle as we often use strategies like avoidance or strict routines to try to protect ourselves from failure or unpleasant criticism.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)