dyspraxia a learning difficulty

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

dyspraxia a learning difficulty

Post by ALADDIN »

Is dyspraxia , a learning difficulty. It is in the same category as dyslexia.

Is ASD & ADHD , in the same category, because both conditions mean people relate to the world differently ?

I have dyspraxia, ADHD ( I am trying to get a diagnosis) and aspergers traits (borderline Asperger syndrome).
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: dyspraxia a learning difficulty

Post by Xenavire »

That's a difficult question. In some ways it could be seen as a learning difficulty - for a lot of us, we have coordination issues that make learning many things more difficult than other people (dribbling a ball, hammering in nails, and a lot of other fine or gross motor skills can be impacted.

Handwriting is a frequently noticed issue, generally being more sloppy the faster we write. Learning to ride a bike might be difficult, playing sports might be as well.

As for our intellectual learning, it can be impacted, but less noticeably. Remembering tasks can be difficult, and multitasking can be a struggle for some of us.

All in all, it's hard to define it. Yes, it can make it harder for us. But since we aren't all affected in the same ways, where one of us might struggle, another might excel. That means there isn't a blanket response to our issues, and we tend to adapt to even the worst aspects of our Dyspraxia over time, making them less noticeable and easier to manage.

For those reasons, it's sometimes a topic of debate. I can't say definitively which side I stand on, because I see it as a bit of a difficulty, but one that usually lessens over time - which can't be said of things like ADHD or Dyslexia, which cause the same issues for life, and aren't as easily adapted to.

I'm not sure what the official stance is, if that is your question - I'm not a Brit and I'm sure the classification differs from place to place.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

A specific learning difficulty (SpLD) is a difference or difficulty with some particular aspects of learning. The most common SpLDs are Dyslexia,
Dyspraxia, Attention Deficit Disorder/ Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity), Disorder, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia.

I believe it is Educational terminology, rather than medical/clinical. In the UK Learning Disability is more commonly used to describe those with profound difficulties and where that individuals IQ is less than 70. The US call this an Intellectual Disability and instead uses Learning Disability for those with Dyspraxia, Dyslexia etc. This confuses it further.

ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) seems to be a different category again. I believe the term Aspergers Syndrome has now fallen out of favour as Herr Doktor Asperger was a member of the SS and his war record was not good. People with Autism may or may not be considered to have a Learning Disability. Some people fall into more than one category.

Equally people may prefer to own the terminology and might prefer Learning Difference to Learning Difficulty or Learning Disability. It is quite an emotive topic.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

ADHD/ADD is a mental health illness and a learning difficulty.

Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalcula, Dysgraphia are learning dfficulties.

ASD people need to learn social skills empathy, decision making, ASD & ADHD/ADD relate to the world differently. I would put ADHD/ADD separately from dyslexia, dyspraxia.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

ALADDIN wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 pm ADHD/ADD is a mental health illness . .
I think you risk offending some people with ADHD
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I have been told, that I have ADHD. I am sure I have ADHD.

I have dyspraxia, ADHD, aspergers traits (borderline asperger syndrome).
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

For those who say AS is a social deficit. Then it is worth watching the findings of this research. https://youtu.be/xZcLW64hNCs
Lloydjade
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lloydjade »

Hi I am new to this site I have dyspraxia but got tested at age 6 I am now 27 and finding it hard to get retested for it as my problems are getting worse can anyone point me in the right way please thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Lloydjade wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:40 am Hi I am new to this site I have dyspraxia but got tested at age 6 I am now 27 and finding it hard to get retested for it as my problems are getting worse can anyone point me in the right way please thanks
Please clarify
Are you in England Wales or Scotland or elsewhere
Are you working/seeking work?
Or in full time education?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator