Organisation

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Riddles
Getting settled in

Organisation

Post by Riddles »

Hi folks, I have recently just started at university on a foundation degree program and already I am worried, I just don't know what to do. They say you need to be organised to pass the course, that you should re-write your own notes (not a good idea, I can't even read my own writing) and going back to type it up now would probably do me no good because its been a while and my short term memory(nevermind my long term memory) is appaling, and it would seem so is my speeling at the moment, normally I am a good speller, but things seem to have turned all topsy-turvy, and whats more I'm starting to go through S.A.D again, for the fifth year in a row.
Anyone on here attended or attend derby university?

hope all are well

Riddles
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Using a dictaphone at lectures is good especially if you are covering coursework assignments.... at least you can go back and pick out the info you need.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Re: Organisation

Post by NobodyElseWill »

type as you go if you cannot write notes etc. I never write stuff unless i really need to or it's simple like an appointment in a diary. i rely on my computer for everything. I take it everywhere i go to and it's a life saver. But if you do wanna start writing more, try writing a letter to a penfriend (there's a lot of sites for penfriends) and get those muscles in your hands and fingers working.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
littlemissbump14
Getting settled in

Re: Organisation

Post by littlemissbump14 »

I'm at St Andrews uni, not Derby sadly. I have utter sympathy for you though. I nearly got kicked out at the end of my 2nd year as I was failing loads of modules. I wasn't too thic or anything, but my notes were not existent. Like you I found taking notes challenging but so much so that I stopped trying because I got too worked up over it.
The solution really is simple- DSA!
You need to go and see the student support people asap to get this started as it takes ages but you basically you get assessed to prove you are dyspraxic and then you can get state funded help, which is a life saver. For example, I now have a laptop with talk-to-type software which helps with essays immensely and most importantly I get paid note takers. It has been a god send and now not only am I passing things, but actually doing well! My note taker shows up at each class and at the end of it hands me a beautifully clear and full set of notes.
I seriously encourage anybody at Uni to get DSA I didn't know I was eligible for help until I nearly got kicked out (thankfully one lovely lovely lecturer realised that I wasn't a lazy idiot so something had to be going on and told me about DSA) don't make my mistake, just go ask for some help. After all the staff are paid by you so make 'em earn it! :)

On another note, how do others find organisation/motivation for assignments? I currently have 3 deadlines n the next 10 days. None of it is written yet, I haven't finished my reading (in truth I've barely started) I just can't motivate myself. It's a massive amount of work, so I find I'm intimidatedso just don't do it, unil the last minute and then it's a big stress etc. I KNOW that if i started ahead of time and dit a little at a time it would be easy, but I just can't seem to manage to do that. help??

Sorry that my forst post has been rather long-winded, will try and be more concise in future I swear!
x
P.S. I just signed up and is it me or is their verification that your a human system very un-dyspraxic friendly? It took me 4 attempts to get the code right! Seems inda stupid for a site aimed at dyspraxics. I nearly gave up and asked my flatmate to read the code for me!
"Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..."- Good advice from Dory