Avoidant ?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Avoidant ?

Post by firemonkey »

Are some of you, like me, quite avoidant? By that I mean there are some things you won't do because you know you're not good at them . If so I think that can camouflage your difficulties , unless someone interacts with you quite a lot .
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Avoidant ?

Post by Xenavire »

Absolutely. I may have extreme confidence in some of my abilities, and little to no fear in many aspects of my life, but there are many things I will avoid as though they were on fire.

I believe it is pragmatism to be selective about what we do and don't do, rather than fear. For example, I refuse to learn how to drive. Not because I don't think I could, but because I know I will inevitably make a mistake that will hurt someone or cause damage that I would have to pay for. I manage just fine without a vehicle, so I don't see a reason to take those kinds of risks.

I do get some funny looks when I tell people I can't drive though.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I don't drive either though visual impairment is as much to blame. Some people just can't understand someone who doesn't drive. That's on them.

I'n a master of avoidance and procrastination. The knack is knowing the difference about when you need to act and when you can ignore it for a while or altogether as really not that important.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I am another one that's never taken a driving test.