College Start Date - HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

gherkin001
Super poster

College Start Date - HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by gherkin001 »

My start date at College has been moved forward to monday!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im scared silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the doubts are coming back... Ive been out of education nearly 4 years everyone else on the course has been out of it for only 6 weeks... nothing has fundamentally changed for them whereas its a different ball game for me... everything i knew when i left school Ive forgotten now... The course involves a lot of mathematics and I have dyscalculia ..... that topped with the last time I had to do any form of maths means im behind before i even start....

Does anyone else think im making a major mistake in going back to college now? Shouldnt I have done it years ago when I still knew what I was doing? Please any words of advice and comfort would be greatly appreciated about.... NOW!!!! I feel so confused lost and absolutely petrified.... to make matters worse my baby is due on xmas day... I know we decided that Clive would go part time at work so he's home when im in college to look after our child but this still has me worked up.... Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirsty.......
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Normally I would suggest that you sit down relax and have a glass of wine.... but as you are pregnant this is not such a good idea. I would suggest doing something that will take your mind off college e.g. go to the cinema or go out with your friends.

Kirsty you are not making a mistake by going back to college... By going back to college now you have made a decision that you want to go back and take a subject you are intrested in. Knowledge is something you can gain at any age, time or place. You will find that your life experiences will help as well.

Everyone else will be in the same situation meeting new people, finding your way around and sitting in lectures etc. I suspect you will not be the only one who is scared.... just remember some people are better at hiding it than others...

I am sure you will not be the only mature student on the course. Nearly every course I have been on has had about 3-5 mature students...

It will take a few days once you are back at college to get back into the swing of things..... (two years ago I was in the same boat as you.... but with 10 years of not studying in between) You will be surprised at what you remember!

The best thing you can do if you are worried about the maths is speak to one of the tutors and ask if there are any maths tutorials or courses which you can do to bring you up to speed. Or alternatively you could get a few mathematic's books from the library and try to refresh your memory... personally I would go for the first option if you get stuck then you have someone to ask...

I hate maths too and I have found that on my course when we get maths to do everyone helps each other out and we ask the tutors as well.

Try not to worry about Monday.....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Thanks Liz I appreciate it. Chilling out a bit more this morning.

Kirsty........
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

The best thing you can do is chill out.... monday will come and go and you will wonder what all the panic was about...

I love the photo of your cat.... what is his/her name???

I have a girl tabby at home who looks very similiar....
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

His name is Lynford... he was so fast as a kitten lol! these days hes a lazy old man who prefers to sit in the sun than move half an inch!!

Bless him

Kirsty
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

That sounds rather familiar my cat is a sun worshipper and follows the sun around the garden in order to stay in a nice warm patch....
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I wish I was a cat sometimes, all he needs to do is cry and we run round after him.... If i try that one, Clive will tell me not to be so lazy unless im ill lol

Kirsty
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I agree with you... its definately a cats life...