31%
Pigs Are more likely to fly!
21%

Total votes: 48

gherkin001
Super poster

Musical Ability

Post by gherkin001 »

Has anyone got any musical talent? I play the guitar and Piano, Does anyone else have a skill?

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I learned to play the guitar, but had to give that up when I went to comp. I can sort of pluck up a tune on the piano, but never learned how to play properly, it was the one fingure type of books.

never learned to read music, so never got to learn any type of instrument in comp.

but using a pc now, then I can make music using a keyboard, and done Music Tech, and Sound Recording courses in college
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

I have played the violin for over 25 years, and I learned the recorder at school if that counts :whistle:

I can knock a tune out of a piano/keyboard - with one finger :rofl: (I have actually got some books on how to play keyboards but don't have time at the moment to look at them.
The Lurker
Power poster

Learning Music

Post by The Lurker »

I have great difficulty learning music by heart from sheets of music, but yet if there is a tune I know well I can play it without having "learned" the music from a sheet (I supose that is playing by ear)

Does anyone else here find that?
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I suppose I do play the piano by ear, like I had one song going through my head, but couldn't describe it well enough with my voice, and the only recording I had of it was damaged, and the song had been deleted, so no chance of getting another copy from Telstar who released the cd. :*(

then mp3 came out, and found that digitally copying the song onto the pc, meant I could listen to the song again. \:D/

but trying to remember how the song went, and then trying to play it single keyed, and record it was fun!!

there again I am better at that, than trying to knock up a song from scratch, as it was very rare that I would have any idea on what to do, or even to get into creating something.
shepo
Getting settled in

Post by shepo »

When I was 18, I was into the "rock scene", so my mum and dad got me a guitar for christmas. I thaught I would be able to just learn tab, and take it from there. Tried to learn, after a few weeks gave up.

Now I am 24, and had the money I would consider giving it another go provided I had a tutor.
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I'm a singer, and I play some instruments.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

Auron wrote:I'm a singer, and I play some instruments.
What ones do you play? :-({|=
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

My main instrument is a Low whistle, it;s like a giant tin whistle that sounds in many ways similar to a flute. It's not as fast and spastic ad a tin whistle because the instrument is bassier, and it dosnt suit for hig agility passages (things like ballad melodies, or jazz passages are ideal, but if your up for it you can also squeez out the odd Jig or Reel, slow air's sound great on it too)
as you would have guessed I also play tin whistle, though I wouldn't be considered the best player of it anymore though.
I was, I must say, a very good player when i was young, but I stopped playing for years Because i got sick and tired of the sound, and totaly left it until i found my new lovely, mellow low whistle years later, I suppose now I'd be well able to hold a melody, but i probibly wouldn't be up to those flast litte thrills and crans you see so many players doing effortlessy.

I recently started learning Piano, It's going slow but I;'m doing it properly and my teacher is helping me develop a very good technique, slowly but surly.

for I band I sing in I also play the odd riff on a guitar when it;s called for (I've had me guitar about 2 years) and on a bass guitar (about 2 months)
and when I'm not doing that I;m shaking a tamborine.

While not technically an instrument, i also compose music on Cubase, Reason and Sebalius, my music theory grade level is 5, and i'm hoping ot be 7 by the start of the next exam.

Do you play? and if so, Which instruments?
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Its good that your so skilled... I stick to what I know best.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

Auron wrote: Do you play? and if so, Which instruments?
I am a fiddler :-({|=

I can also play the recorder and the piano with 2 fingers \:D/
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I'd love to learn a chromatic wind instrument like the Saxophone or the flute, but I learnt to play the Whistle "upside down" ie left hand on bottow right hand on top.
If I were to learn the flute or sax I would need to play a "mirror mode" version of the instrument.
I try my best to be chromatic on whistles, you can do a surprising amout of stuff that you wouldnt normally think, I can easily play jazz and blues scales, providing I plan the scales aroudn the easiest notes to "half hole"
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

I play the piano but it's extremely hard to learn anything new now. I think this is because a large part of my learning was that my teacher would play through the piece before I had a go, so I knew what it was supposed to sound like. I really find it utterly impossible to play a piece I have never heard.

Also, I can't play at any speed until I have learned a piece off by heart. Once I've done that, it's automatic and I can play the piece brilliantly because my fingers know where they are supposed to be. I can't do sight reading. I have taken two piano exams - grade 2 and grade 3 - and the sight reading was always where I did very badly.

Weirdly, with a bit of brushing up I can still play pieces that I learned whe I was 10. How weird is that? When people tell me information, or if I have appointments and whatnot, my brain is useless and it can go in one ear and out the other in a flash. Yet I can still remember how to play piano pieces that I haven't touched for at least 13 years.

I also love to sing, though I'm not very good at it and would absolutely love singing lessons. I adore music.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

I learnt clarinet up to grade 8 standard (though didn't take the exam). I'm also self taught on recorder, ocarina, guitar and mandolin (in descending order of ability).
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
absentnormality
New member - welcome them!

Post by absentnormality »

I can read music, follow a tune and on a good day count the beats in a piece of music. Technically I can play the clarinet (I'm grade 4), but I can't work out how to count timings properly so I need to play with an accompaniment. I can also technically play the keyboard but can't put chords and melody together.

I can however play the recorder very well and am currently learning to play the ukulele because I wanted something to do in my spare time besides sit on my computer.