Your preferred learning style

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which learning style do you find easiest?

Visual
22%
Auditory
11%
Kinesthetic
17%
Visual and auditory equally
6%
Visual and kinesthetic equally
17%
Auditory and kinesthetic equally
11%
No preference
17%

Total votes: 18

square peg
Getting settled in

Your preferred learning style

Post by square peg »

http://school.familyeducation.com/intel ... 38519.html

I'm of the generation that's had to fill out questionnaires about this stuff every school term since turning fourteen. It helps, especially if the teachers use the understanding properly. Sometimes they try to use the theory to include everybody but instead end up confusing everybody by imposing several styles at the same time. Not helpful. If someone can't assimilate information they hear, what makes people think they will do so better if told to look at and copy a diagram from the board on top of hearing it? No one's that good at multi-tasking! That sort of thing makes me suspect that they many ALs think non-auditory learners are just stupid and need 'extra reinforcement'. Anyway. Yes, this thread was just an excuse for that rant.

As I understand it, dyslexic people struggle with auditory learning because dyslexia is likely to be caused by some form of auditory processing disorder. I've never thought I have dyslexia but do think my brain seems to struggle to interpret sound quality and meanings (hence, e.g., 'tone deaf' thread) and it's difficult for me to understand concepts and remember facts or experiences received by my ears. If I read the exact same words on a page, it's much better. So I guess I'm visual. Definitely not kinesthetic. I actually can't even intuitively grasp how it's possible to understand and remember things by 'doing'.

How about everybody else?
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I find I don't 'get' something unless I have it explained to me. Becasue Dyspraxia affects memory and retention, this can make this a protracted process! But eventually the penny drops and I'm usually okay after that.

I get no such retention from just seeing something and trying to understanding it - only extremly rarely, and even less so when having to 'do' something to learn it. Historically anything I do that involves 'placing' something (myself or some object) I've struggled with.

I tend to do best mixing visual and auditory but If pressed I'd say I am an auditory learner.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

well, according to an assesment I did last week, I'm a kinaesthetic learner
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Re: Your preferred learning style

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I am auditory. I can listen to many things and remember them better than if I read them or if I saw them. For instance, I once figured out how to play a little bit of the theme from "Jurassic Park" on my saxophone as a beginning player after only listening to the theme a few times. Now, I cannot say I am the best listener, but I do hear things quite well and when there are too many noises around it is very hard for me to concentrate on what one person is saying. I read a little faster if I have an audiobook along with a regular book to follow along since I don't have to process the words by reading them individually. I love listening to music and often hum a song when it is quiet. These are some of the descriptions on a learning test I took so I believe I'm more auditory than anything else. I think my second biggest score on the test was with visual and then with kinesthetic.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Re: Your preferred learning style

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I tend to be a mix between auditory and visual. I have hypersensitivity when it comes to noise so lectures are quite hard as there are usually some inconsiderate sods talking through the whole thing. Saying that I do benefit from recording the lectures and listening back to them at home whilst reading through the notes, I also look for little animations that explain some concepts on a basic level that helps me to go on to understand the more complex ones.
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.