talking and short term memory

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanAu96
Getting settled in

talking and short term memory

Post by DanAu96 »

so i have this problem that i think of something to say and when it come to me saying it i have forgotten what i was going to say and everyone is left looking at me (and sometime laughing at me) while i am trying to remember what i was going to say, it is rather embarrassing. does anyone else have this problem? it's really annoying.
roxy176
Getting settled in

Re: talking and short term memory

Post by roxy176 »

I have problems if I have to think about what I say before I say it and it comes out all jumbled and mixed up. However if I just say things impulsively without thinking about it, I come across as far more articulate and intelligent. However what I say I can never back up with any evidence so for example I will say a fact but have no idea where I heard it or how I know it. Its kind of weird!
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Roxy I am also like that. For example I talk fast and ramble on or loose topic, then I get hArd on myself; almost tip of the tongue kind of ordeal. I figure it's my anxiousness attacking my dyspraxia, cuz I developed two new friends over the few past years. It's annoying feeling and yes weird to me also.
I'm trying out gabba supplements, it sopposed to relax u more ; going into slow instead of hyperdrive . Way it works is, that gabba slows down your nutrons to allow better communication with your Niro transmitters to spark and connect. It's a natural compound in the body like saratonin.
Might help.
But do some research on it first.
A believe u can also get gabba tea

it mostly happens when I'm overwhelmed or in a busy place.
roxy176
Getting settled in

Post by roxy176 »

Hi Morgan,

I hope the Gabba supplements work for you. I dont suffer from a great deal of anxiety these days so could only imagine how much worse it would be if I did. I do find tho it is worse when I am put on the spot and have to recall some sort of fact or do some sort of mental maths. I have learnt to just mumble at those points in the hope that other people dont hear me and think I am an idiot. I give myself a hard time then as feel so stupid its unbelievable.
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

does GABA work to improve short term memory?
HopefulMike
Getting settled in

Post by HopefulMike »

What I find funny is I remember football stats players names how many they scored etc.... but when it comes to my 10th birthday.... my 1st day at secondary school I can only just about remember getting on the bus but thats it! Which saddens me sometimes but might as well laugh about it or will drive yourself mad at times.

Then my wife tells me stuff which in 5 minutes I would of forgotten if I'm cooking later on the day I write it in my phone. I was also wondering does anyone else find that sometimes they thought they said something to someone but then actually I realise I only said it in my head then to person I meant to tell. I think this is worse for me when stressed or I just bottle it up and think Im being a burden. This drives my wife mad!!! so lucky she has so much patience with me and now will remind me to put reminders on my phone.

I gotta say I have never liked technology but I put of tons of reminders on my phone but they really help me remember things. Which then at times makes me more organised than others who are usually more organised than me usually! :grin:
AdiB47
Getting settled in

Post by AdiB47 »

roxy176 wrote:I have problems if I have to think about what I say before I say it and it comes out all jumbled and mixed up. However if I just say things impulsively without thinking about it, I come across as far more articulate and intelligent. However what I say I can never back up with any evidence so for example I will say a fact but have no idea where I heard it or how I know it. Its kind of weird!
This happens to me when I'm under any kind of pressure to speak coherently in a more formal setting. I occasionally have to speak to an audience for work and have tried both reading from a script/notes and winging it. I have so much more success when winging it. On the one hand, this is good because it seems more natural and avoids the enormous problems I have relocating my place on the page after glancing up to make eye-contact, but on the other it requires a lot more confidence that I won't forget to say something important, or muddle up a word, or clean forget what I was about to say.

For the safety net (and also for backing myself up with evidence, to bring that point in) I use a lot of visual aids/slides in picture form. This strikes fear into the heart of the audience if they see how many slides I've prepared - they think they are in for the long haul!