Coexisting Conditions

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Coexisting Conditions

Post by poodlelover81 »

So who on here has another condition that can be diagnosed? I'm curious because I saw somewhere that dyspraxia goes hand-in-hand with other learning disorders and disabilities. I just got diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive type and I'm realizing many of my problems such as a limited concentration , anger, and a quick fuse could be attributed to ADHD rather than dyspraxia. But since I've started taking medication those symptoms have gone away. Anyone else have coexisting condititions, and if so with what?
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Re: Coexisting Conditions

Post by DanAu96 »

I am also dyslexic, which goes hand in hand with dyspraxia
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Hey poodlelover!!

I am dyspraxia and also dyslexia which was diagnosed at the same time, when I was 17.

I don't know if I have anything else wrong with me, but wouldn't be surprised if i am autistic or have some sort of so sorry processing disorder too. I find that looking at a colour can give me the chills in a big way, but the only way I can describe different tastes is through expressing it as a colour; for instance buffalo burgers = purple, bakes beans = green; amongst others.
I can't stand loud noise (sends me into a blind uncontrollable panic) but take a great deal of pleasure from listening to music (classical, pop, jazz, funk, anything goes really) and the only way I can discernible different tastes is through expressing it as a colour.

Weird, eh???
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi,

I have mild Diplegic Cerebral mostly affecting my legs, I've also been told on at least two occasions that I have traits of some form of higher functioning autism although no official diagnosis.
Apparently if you have a diagnosis of something like Dyspraxia its unlikely you'll get any official diagnosis of autism unless the symptoms are quite pronounced, I guess there is a fair bit of crossover.
poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Post by poodlelover81 »

Captain_Ludd wrote:Hi,

I have mild Diplegic Cerebral mostly affecting my legs, I've also been told on at least two occasions that I have traits of some form of higher functioning autism although no official diagnosis.
Apparently if you have a diagnosis of something like Dyspraxia its unlikely you'll get any official diagnosis of autism unless the symptoms are quite pronounced, I guess there is a fair bit of crossover.
Hi Captain Ludd,

For many years, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome because of my awkwardness and because I come from the States, where little is known about dyspraxia. I highly doubt that I actually have Asperger's or autism, and the same goes for most people with dyspraxia. I feel like we can all say we have some awkwardness =D>
poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Post by poodlelover81 »

Clumsy wrote:
I find that looking at a colour can give me the chills in a big way, but the only way I can describe different tastes is through expressing it as a colour; for instance buffalo burgers = purple, bakes beans = green; amongst others.
That must be pretty cool!
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Haha, yeah. Although it does mean im a pretty rubbish to ask about different foods!!