My son

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Caring dad
New member - welcome them!

My son

Post by Caring dad »

I have recently found out my son has dyspraxia. He is aged 9 and does not know he has it yet. He wonders why he doesn't like sports like other boys ie football rugby and even group games like tig. I don't know whether to tell him as I'm unsure if it is a good thing. I would like explain to him that he has this but feel it might stop him trying as hard or thinking that he is in someway different from other kids. Has anyone else had experience of this qaundry? I just want him to be happy? Many thanks for reading, caring dad
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Re: My son

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

Definitely tell him!
He's got a struggle ahead either way. That being said, a struggle with an explanation and access to coping strategies is easier than one without.
He deserves to understand why he finds certain things difficult, and that there are reasons beyond anyone's control for this. I think that would make his life easier :D

Also, I often find myself trying too hard with things that are not high priority, so I don't think there will be much of a problem there~
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
whitedwarf12
New member - welcome them!

Post by whitedwarf12 »

While I cannot answer your question, It may be helpful for you to know my experience growing up.

I have just found out that I have dyspraxia aged 19. I think the important thing to me was that my parents understood and helped me to deal with the difficulties I was facing. Now that I am older and know my diagnosis I realize that they were a major part of helping me develop coping strategies and my attitude to working. My parents always encouraged me to do my best to improve and not give up on things because they were difficult. I am now following my dreams and studying physics at university!

Advice that I have found useful is to play to my strengths wherever possible. Take my time and don't rush things, even if this means finishing later. Be prepared.

I have also found that I prefer individual sports where I don't compare myself to others eg. swimming.

(Just to be clear, neither I nor my parents knew about my dyspraxia until I had left home since I had less of the physical symptoms.)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Caring dad wrote:I have recently found out my son has dyspraxia. He is aged 9 and does not know he has it yet. He wonders why he doesn't like sports like other boys ie football rugby and even group games like tig. I don't know whether to tell him as I'm unsure if it is a good thing. I would like explain to him that he has this but feel it might stop him trying as hard or thinking that he is in someway different from other kids. Has anyone else had experience of this qaundry? I just want him to be happy? Many thanks for reading, caring dad
Assuming you're in the UK and haven't already been in touch the Dyspraxia Foundation may be worth a look
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=1&t=4524

To be fair, he has no doubt already noticed he is different and things other lads seem to do with ease are more difficult for him and there is of course an immense amount of pressure to try and fit in. Are there any interests he has that could be encouraged by his joining a club, Has he tried Cubs or Boys Brigade or anything like that?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Post by Tomtom »

Tell him, I found out when I was 8, and I didn't feel any different from my peers, I just felt it was me, and it was something I would have to get used to it, finding out didn't change the way I acted. I think if you told him that he had dyspraxia, and explain it, it would help him understand himself more.