What kind of car do you drive?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

rhyds
Regular Poster

What kind of car do you drive?

Post by rhyds »

My own personal mode of transport at the moment is a 1995 White Rover 111i manual, it's only done about 15 thousand miles in its twelve years, and is a fantastic little run around for getting me from place to place. Its main adavantage is that it's light and has large windows with thin "pillars", allowing for great all-round visibility.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

i dont drive yet but wen i do i want a 1967 GT 500 shelby fastback mustang!!!!
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I've said it before n I'll say it again...I don't drive anything me!!! \:D/ =D> =;
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Perhaps we need a thread called "what DON'T you drive?" :D

I'm learning but as and when I pass I'm not terribly fussed what I'll drive or not to be honest. I regard driving as a painful necessity of rural life.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Oooh could I be the first to reply on that Dan? \:D/
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

anything with 6 wheel's!! (4 road wheels, steering wheel, spare wheel, and flywheel!!)

at the moment, then only limited to my father's car, or catching public transport, feet, or occasionally a push bike.

which my fathers car is a Citreon Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel.

but since my parent's dog was put down 7 months ago, then there hasn't been that much need for me to drive my fathers car, as we used to use it to take her for walks, like the beach, forestry, or anywhere new that we can find! trouble was she enjoyed the car so much, that she refused to go for a walk that didn't include going in the car! so I only driven during the few days over the christmas period, so my father could drink, and not have to worry on me getting home.

plus borrowed the car a couple of weeks ago to drive the driving test route for my large goods vehicle lisense.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I am a car nutter, in particular Austin Rover and Rover.

I am not too good with my hands on the mechanics side. Doesn't stop me learning and giving it a go though.

Hated driving at first, but once I got my confidence up I loved it :)
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Flywheel, Shadwell? I have images of you driving a Fred Dibnah style traction engine down the lanes of Wales! ;)
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

Pooky wrote:I am a car nutter, in particular Austin Rover and Rover.

I am not too good with my hands on the mechanics side. Doesn't stop me learning and giving it a go though.

Hated driving at first, but once I got my confidence up I loved it :)
No Way! I'm a massive ARG fan too, I'm on my 3rd metro/100, can't get enough of the things :D

Have you been on the forum at http://www.austin-rover.co.uk ?
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Yep and a few others. We have crossed paths before :D
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

well isn't really a wheel dan,

as most have got teeth on them, but it goes between the main bulk of the engine, and the clutch, and then there is the gear box on an engine

soz can't explain it much better than that.

about all the flywheel does, is puts a large solid rotrating space between the clutch plates, and the engine bulk
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

I'm insured on my mums car and its a Peagout 307, but my instructors car is a renult megean. I have only driven my mums car three times on the road, but today was the furthest I drove, mum didn't grab the wheel much bless her.

Luv Meg
Xxxx
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Currently a ford fiesta but changing to a mini at the end of the month...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

what you mean she closed her eyes the rest of the time meg?!!!

nah, I am sure your driving is coming along nicely now, and your mother is just reacting to how you were the last time you went for a lesson with her.

it is always better to have a passenger that is a driver with you, as they are always aware of other things that miss your attention, and very unlikely not to be your fault either.

like my mother today had pedestrians crossing a crossing, and a car pull out infront of us immediatly after the crossing, even though we had a green light, well my mothers concerntration was on the pedestrians, whereas I couldn't see them, but I could see the car pull out of the junction extremely slowly, so I was able to make my mother aware.

(Bridgend is not the place to drive) extremely bad layout of roads, like in that area there is the pedestian crossing, a junction, and a round-about all within 70 feet of eachother! so instead of having enough time to think it all happens at once! if you blink then you will miss something.

and only a giveway line for the traffic pulling out of the junction, whereas they could have set up special lights that work with the pedestrian crossing, so that they know it is safe to go!!
James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

I'm considering when to start, I'm 17 in about a month. I'm only going to attempt driving in an automatic though.