Diagnosis in adults

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tammyem84
New member - welcome them!

Diagnosis in adults

Post by Tammyem84 »

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I felt the need to find a support group. I recently went to the dyspraxia foundation website in search of answers.... I am very accident prone, my spatial awareness is crap especially on my left side cos I have a lazy left eye and I struggle to follow instructions amongst many other things.

I seem to be identifying myself as dyspraxic all of a sudden. Maybe I've always had it but I need answers and I'm so worried about going to the GP in case they don't understand. I worry I'm autistic as well. Dyspraxia seems so relevant and easy to understand and live with. As you can tell I am a bit confused and I also struggle to make my point...
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Diagnosis in adults

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Tammyem

Welcome to our online community

Dyspraxia generally seems to exist from birth. It can be difficult to identify as awareness is still a bit patchy and it manifests itself in a bewildering array. No two of us are the same and everyone copes (or struggles to cope) to varying degrees with different things, in different ways at different times.

The Dyspraxia Foundation has some tips on how to broach the subject with your GP and if you look at some of the posts in our Getting Help and Assessment area you should find some useful tips from looking at other threads. If you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask and someone will hopefully respond within a day or two.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)