Hello new member here, is teaching or admin a good job for a newly diagnosed dyspraxic

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Keepgoingup2
New member - welcome them!

Hello new member here, is teaching or admin a good job for a newly diagnosed dyspraxic

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

I am recent graduate, but I was diagnosed last week by my therapist. I am looking for several jobs as I have been unemployed since leaving university of last Autumn. I have been interested in pursuing either a teacher job or an Admin job. Could anyone give me some background information on whether these careers are suitable for a dyspraxic like myself to pursue?.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello new member here, is teaching or admin a good job for a newly diagnosed dyspraxic

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Try to think in terms of what you are interested in and what you believe/know you can do first.

Think about what your strengths are and strategies for workarounds to seek to overcome the things you. find more challenging. Dyspraxia does make things trickier but there will be things you ca do and people who will come to accept and even value your different approach and thinking if harnessed well.

We`re all different so without knowing you we can`t say go for this or avoid that.
Last edited by Tom fod on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Hello new member here, is teaching or admin a good job for a newly diagnosed dyspraxic

Post by screengreen »

Maybe you could try doing a swot analysis on your self strengths weaknesses opportunities and threats, then go out and find out what is available and what each job entails admin would be a nightmare for me and as a school governor and seeing what teacher's do personally I would avoid but you may be excellent at both, work shadowing is always a good idea too!
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I believe , if u want to teach or be a theropiest or administrator by heart , u can focus on using dyspraxia to your adventage to a point where let's say of u want to help kids dealing with similar struggles , and if u know somewhat how to get a point across to others and like giving out knowledge through passion, then yes, but the thing is u have to look inside yourself to figure out if this is what your passion and can I pass down knowledge to others so they can learn from my teachings or do I have certain stredigies to help people and what are they. I guess it's all about life experiences and passion or good chunk anyways in those fields