Housework and other things

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Housework and other things

Post by firemonkey »

This is something throws me. I am ok when given a small part of a task to do while being helped by others, but get overwhelmed when faced with doing the whole thing.
I have difficulty with knowing how to sequentially do things.
The easiest thing to manage would be hoovering but I haven't done that for ages as I have great difficulty emptying and refitting the dust cylinder.

Manual tasks around the house are things I dread. Luckily my youngest step daughter and her children have helped with things like decorating when they visit but they are not near to deal with spur of the moment practical situations.
Although I have registered as disabled with the council via my mental illness help is limited until you reach 65.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Housework and other things

Post by Tom fod »

Sadly there seems to be very little acceptance or understanding of the difficulties people face.

My housework is a pain and there are plenty of distractions but it will always be there for me to do. I need to be better at setting time aside and actually getting stuff done but I try not to obsess over it though I ought really to have done more this evening.

Perhaps an inexpensive white board might be an idea that would work for you or maybe you could devise your own tick lists or have someone help you break down what tasks you need to do and the order in which/how you could tackle them in stages. I guess you need to be a bit obsessive to a degree to make them work. (I can tick off finding a dentist and ordering a book as an Xmas present for my brother off of mine now).

Perhaps your step daughter or someone could help you to master removing and replacing the dust cylinder. Perhaps some clearer marks to help you line it up right might be helpful. The next time it has been emptied, perhaps try removing and replacing it a couple of times?

Hope you can find some solutions that work for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Wayward
Getting settled in

Re: Housework and other things

Post by Wayward »

Hi firemonkey :)
A lot of us struggle with sequential thinking and breaking tasks down.
What sort of tasks do you struggle with?

I'm actually working on some flowchart ideas for helping people like us cope with daily life, I'd be very interested to know some specific examples, if you don't mind? :)