Hello all

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Hello all

Post by firemonkey »

Hi all, I am not diagnosed officially but feel I may fit dyspraxia/NLD. For the last 42 years I have been receiving psychiatric treatment and my symptoms include anxiety(general and social),depression,paranoia, mood swings, .

What makes me feel I may be dyspraxic are the following things that are applicable to me .

Social interaction problems.

Have difficulty with small talk and initiating conversations.

Only couple of friends in 3D over 58 years

Much better at verbal IQ questions than nonverbal/ visual spatial.

Not good at constructional tasks. Can't do jigsaws meant for children.

Started doing well academically but gradual decline starting at 9.5

Had to have handwriting lessons.

Bad at sports especially gymnastics.

Have difficulty when it comes to organising and planning.

Messy and untidy

Poor sense of direction and afraid of going too far in case i get lost.

Not good in crowds as difficulty judging distances and get overwhelmed by the toing and froing

Poor? balance was nearly 14 before i managed to ride a bike.

Poor drawing skills.

Struggle with change.

I like surfing the net,genealogy, politics, and checking my rss feeds.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello all

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Firemonkey
Welcome to our online community. I hope you find it helpful and supportive. We`re a diverse bunch.

Obtaining a formal diagnosis as an adult can be far from straightforward so we accept people regardless.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Thanks Tom. Back in 2008-9(can't quite remember which) my then care co ordinator,after I had talked to her,got me an appointment to discuss things with a pdoc. After asking a few brusque and irrelevant questions the pdoc steered off the subject completely! Given a past history of being labelled "awkward,demanding and troublesome", when pressing for more help and support, I have not felt able to pursue the matter for fear of the bad relationship between myself and the psychiatric team returning.
I don't think it helps that they regard me as highly/very intelligent and that on the day I was articulate. Also unless a psychiatrist,sees something for his or herself ,and makes the point that you are X, they don't like it if you notice things for yourself. They bang on about insight but then don't like it when you show insight independently from what they have told you.
How they think about my abilities and recognition of possible difficulties is contradictory ie saying in my notes I am highly/very intelligent, v writing in a back up letter for ESA for I have very poor social skills and limited ability to live independently in the community.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Hi Firemonkey

Welcome to our online community and hope you are finding it as helpful as I do. It is a life saver in my opinion!

The more I see of life the more I think that a lot of people with mental health problems (I've had depression and anxiety myself) actually have an underlying learning difficulty. I'm 46 now and found out I had dyspraxia two years ago. I did got privately in the end because NHS aren't always so good at this sort of thing. People tend to think its a lack of confidence that we struggle, when actually there are real difficulties. But since the diagnosis I am much happier and finding there are other people like me has been amazing.

I really relate to getting lost, struggling with housework and emptying the Hoover (that you mentioned on your other posts), also I struggle to keep things tidy. It took me three years to learn to drive and when I started I had no idea how to turn the wheel back again when I went round a corner! I find I can learn practical things but I need someone to show me step by step. I really relate to being able to do a small task but getting overwhelmed by the whole thing. The worst thing is people often think I'm being lazy when my head is genuinely in a muddle!

My husband used to get annoyed with me because I'd have spent ages tidying one drawer or putting papers in order, thinking I'd done lots and the house being in a mess still! Since we've known about dyspraxia things have improved. He is organised so he has helped me come up with a schedule for housework to do things in order.

I'm sorry your experience of the mental health services has not been so good. I think people don't always like you suggesting things, and yet we are really the experts about what is going on in our own heads! I would recommend getting in touch with the Dyspraxia Foundation they are really helpful. Sometimes there are local groups as well. I went to a great lady in Berkshire but unfortunately there is t anything here at the moment. As soon as I told her I had difficulty getting on and off a train, just walking down a street sometimes, she just nodded and understood. What a relief after years of "there's nothing wrong is you, it's just your lack of confidence". Yes I think, I lack confidence because I'm always being picked on and told I'm not trying!

Sorry I am rambling on! I hope you manage to get some help. Sometimes occupational therapists can help with organisation, housework, etc. when I went to the GP I wrote down all the reasons I thought I might have dyspraxia. She didn't know about it but did refer me to a neurologist. He was very nice but said my "perceived difficulties" were causing me to be depressed. But he did say the dyspraxia foundation may help. I think it is just not known about enough. Also dysprxia is not straightforward. I struggle with riding a bike, driving etc but have neat handwriting and played the piano. Other people I know are the other way round.

Anyway I did eventually go to a really nice lady called Annette Dickens in Berkshire who diagnosed dyspraxia and gave me advice.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it is helpful.

Nicky
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Thanks Nicky for your thoughtful reply.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, Firemonkey. :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D