holding jobs

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fergus
New member - welcome them!

holding jobs

Post by fergus »

hey i have this one consistent problem over the years of my working life is being able to keep jobs, not because i get fired it's more that i randomly just stop going in or just quit for no real reason. i have no idea why i just get tired of the job and also so quickly too. i want to actually be able to make a life for myself soon and i know that maintaining a job is a big part of that. i was woundering if anyone had any advice of keeping myself in a job. i vaguely think it's when the job becomes difficult is when i get the urge to stop going in..any help is much appreciated. :)
moleyface1991
Getting settled in

Re: holding jobs

Post by moleyface1991 »

It seems so wierd you posting this seeing as Im going right through a similar problem at the moment.

I only joined a few weeks ago but it seems they have already started having problems with the way I do things because it is a physical job and it does cause problems when I struggle to keep up with others standards, best thing to do is to take each day different and set small challenges for yourself
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

fergus wrote:hey i have this one consistent problem over the years of my working life is being able to keep jobs, not because i get fired it's more that i randomly just stop going in or just quit for no real reason. i have no idea why i just get tired of the job and also so quickly too. i want to actually be able to make a life for myself soon and i know that maintaining a job is a big part of that. i was woundering if anyone had any advice of keeping myself in a job. i vaguely think it's when the job becomes difficult is when i get the urge to stop going in..any help is much appreciated. :)
Hi Fergus and welcome

There are never any easy answers and I'm sure you're aware it could put you at a disadvantage, depending on how and where you might apply for jobs, since employers tend to look at or ask about previous employment. I don't know what sectors you've worked in or what the trigger points are that have led you to think "I can't be doing with this anymore" Or equally, what you've experienced that has got you to that point, what the jobs, and your employers were like in each case.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Samuel.eats.grass
New member - welcome them!

Post by Samuel.eats.grass »

fergus wrote:hey i have this one consistent problem over the years of my working life is being able to keep jobs, not because i get fired it's more that i randomly just stop going in or just quit for no real reason. i have no idea why i just get tired of the job and also so quickly too. i want to actually be able to make a life for myself soon and i know that maintaining a job is a big part of that. i was woundering if anyone had any advice of keeping myself in a job. i vaguely think it's when the job becomes difficult is when i get the urge to stop going in..any help is much appreciated. :)
Hello, well I would ask you to evaluate what your career goals are, how you will achieve them,what your dream career looks like, identify the things which make you feel disheartened about roles, and what you like about the roles, what draws you to them? If you simply have commitment issues there may be underlying issues which lead to this and react accordingly. It's important to identify these patterns and also change them because as you're probably aware, it can be very difficult to explain these at interviews etc.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think also it's a question of priorities.

Forgive me if I come across as harsh, but it's difficult enough to get jobs when you can show that you are hard working, committed, dependable etc. So it's going to be even harder convincing a potential employer to take you on if it looks like you flee at the first sign of potential difficulty.

The thing is, Dyspraxic or not, very few of us get to do a dream job. Most people have to tolerate a job which they'd rather not have to do in order to earn a living. But if you are having difficulties coping in a job then you need to be honest to the manager and see if they can support you, so you can stay in the job. They can't do this if you simply quit.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
PatrickIreland
Getting settled in

Post by PatrickIreland »

Fergus: If you have difficulty holding down a job, my guess is that you struggle in group dynamics (like all us dyspraxics). Perhaps a job where there's just you and your machine or process; with perhaps just one team meeting per day, or minimal supervision on someone to fall back on if there's a problem?
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Hi Fergus,could it be that you need a little novelty? Because on are not getting enough sensory stimulation, if so is it possible to add extra stimulation by playing music or adding movement to the tasks you have to do..... a balance cushion could be really good for an office job.

alternatively it could be because you are becoming overwhelmed by sensations that you reach overload become uncomfortable and quit, if this is the case finding ways to reduce stimulation, eg ear plugs , dark glasses if appropriate etc.

Equally could be for other reasons...... you need to find out why you quit, perhaps mentally checking all your body at the point you feel like quitting may help eg thinking about your stomach ....if its always knotted when you leave a job? it could be you are anxious but have not realised it

Good luck finding a job that you love!
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

My work history shows/looks that i am unable to hold down a job on my CV. All the jobs I have had so far have been via employment agencies, which happened to be short term contracts, even doing a work placment in the past after a while I am let go and someone else does a work placement at the same place.

I know what my strenghs and weaknesses within the jobs I know I am capable of doing (and know what is going to be hazard for me to do.) I can easily get frustrated at times and stress. I sometimes find it hard to fit in. (I also tend to frustrated with using those self check in supermarkets, prefer to have someone serving me.

I be quite happy earning slightly above the minimum wage per hour, as for me it is the people I work with and the job.

I am commitment to wanting to work, hard working, reliable. but sometimes feel hopeless that it takes me a long time to feel comfortable and understand the job I am doing, I prefer to go into the job each morning and get away without having to worry after each day, sometimes I have not been able to switch off.

Hopefully I can get employment (paid) soon even though it might be temporary. I will never give up.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Philip
Welcome to our online community. Will take time to answer more fully but fact you have done many jobs for short contracts could be reframed to highlight your adaptability. Will expand on this when I have thought more. You do have marketable qualities.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Remember that technically you aren't employed by the companies the agency places you at. Your employer is the agency. If the companies no longer require you, or the work has run out or maybe the budget to fund it then they aren't going to keep you on whether you're good or not.

This is more a reflection on the reality of agency working, rather than your competences and ability to hold down a job.

Remember, you can take the experience you gain from every placement and use it to develop your overall skill set. Employers look for "transferable skills".

As such, it's advisable to tailor your CV specifically to each individual job application you make. For instance if your'e applying for a job at a call centre, they don't need to know that you have experience of driving forklifts in a warehouse, however they do need to know that you have strong customer skills and IT skills, so if you can demonstrate that experience (even if it was gained from the warehouse job) you'd be increasing your chances.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
griffaliff
Getting settled in

Post by griffaliff »

Hello,

I don't have an answer but I thought I would reply as I find knowing that people have similar issues can make you feel better!

I graduated from university with a 2.2 in music technology in 2011 - not the most useful degree. I came out with no connections so getting a job that pays enough in that sector was nigh on impossible even after a year of daily hunting through the internet, asking people in the know etc. This led me to working several crap office jobs that I just found on reed.co.uk or other employment agencies.

My issue that I can relate here would be that I could tell when employers were close to firing me so I would just leave before they did, I feel it's better to quit than be sacked. I've heard from a fair few people with varying levels of Dyspraxia that getting fired can be a common thing. It's something that has happened to myself plenty of times because employers see me as slower than the rest, lazy, forgetful etc etc.

My solution was to go self-employed, I retrained to work as a tree surgeon which is great but the money isn't regular as I am just starting out. Maybe self employment could be a possibility for you? I enjoy myself as I find it frees you from BS office politics and employers that don't care/don't understand the condition that we live with.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Further to my post above

I guess I've always been a bit biased against employment agencies because I was always looking for something long-term and because I didn't drive and lived-in a rural location they possibly saw me as more difficult to place. There are probably pros too but personally I didn't feel there were ever that many for me. I appreciate the jobs market has moved on and so much more off the application process can be done online now.

With self employment, depending on your chosen field, you still have to deal with people though in theory they shouldn't be looking over your shoulder every 2 mins or telling you 're not doing it right

Jim: Thanks for expanding on the transferable skills.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator