How safe do you think the internet is?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I think it is very important to be safe on the Internet. I haven't always been that sensible but I am now.
I was lonley after breaking up with a boyfriend about 3 years ago and went on a chat room. I was confused and didn't have people in my life that I felt I could really talk to. It was a singles chat room and I answered personal questions that people asked me about myself and boyfriends without thinking twice about it. It makes me feel quite sick to think about it know. Once this lad gave me his mobile nymber and I sent him a text. I knew it was stupid but I did it anyway. We sent a few texts and then I sent one asking if he knew what dysprxia was. He didn't so I came to my senses and didn't text him anymore. Luckily for me he never texted back. I've never told anyone about it because I know how stupid it was.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

welcome back Creative, as far as giving a mobile number out, then it is a lot easier now, as there are so many companies giving free sim cards, so it only costs the amount to text everyone your new mobile number, or even give the person in question the free sim card number, and then it is only a case of checking it every day or something, and if you got a spare phone, then put the free sim card into it. so it doesn't have to cost the earth anymore.

and there is no-way to trace you if you get the card sent to a friends, or somewhere that will be safe, just remember not to register the sim card with the phone company, unless it is to the place that you got it sent to, or make sure they put you as being x-directory, then the other person can't trace you that way either.

and only tell them your real number whenever you are comfortable with it, and you know there aren't going to be any problems. that is what I would suggest.

oh! well Donna, you aren't asking for the world, just mr. funny!! instead of mr. hillerious!! hopefully you find mr. funny sooner than mr. hillerious!!

like I am as careful as I can be, like if it is family, then usually I get the e-mail address, and if it is msn, then I check the profile, and view their pictures, then for them to know it is me, then I will say about things that they will know, and isn't likely to be mentioned to anyone else on the i-net. so the safety thing works both ways. also will have given them my msn address, either by person, or in an e-mail.

and also got my web-cam running now, so I might have a photo for msn when I can get the camera to take a photo with it's software!! instead of being totally annon!!

poss use a photo of my parent's dog that got put down last year on here. :*( so I get to see her picture more :)

or might use it for msn, as that is on nearly constantly at the moment, due to my pc not being able to play the online game :*(
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

I have made lots of good friends over the internet on various sites, but I will always make sure that I am careful, hence why I won't use chatrooms unless its Msn and forums in my oipion I think are safer as you're not directly talking to someone.

Luv Meg
Xxxx
BetaBox
Getting settled in

Post by BetaBox »

I think the Internet is as safe as you make it. Sure there are always risks but you have to remember the following if you can:

Passwords: Make sure they are at least 8 letters long and contain at least 1 capital letter and 2 numbers.

Internet Banking: Try and find a software keyboard so that you can use the mouse to enter in passwords, its the best way.

Lists: Make a list of which companies have your bank details and review this list quartely and remove bank details from companies you don't use.

Chatrooms: Avoid dating and "friendship" chatrooms as they can be really unsafe. Chatrooms about your favourite things are allright as long you leave personal details out.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I would really recommend weekly with the banking one Betabox, as you may find someone has taken money without you being totally aware of it, and can leave you in serious trouble if it goes unchecked.

especially when you are having to watch what you spend anyway, then weekly online, and every day or two on the cash point, as it does tell you of amount differences between what you can withdraw and what you got in your account,

and if the two get tally, then it is easier to try, and stop payments that shouldn't be going out of your account.

also best having 1 day or 2 days a month for direct debits, it is easier to tell what money should be coming out.
NickC
Getting settled in

Post by NickC »

WOW guys, this all stinks of paranoia!!! look we all have some issues which is why were here on this site. But the internet is fairly safe, the problem is you read so many horror stories in the press that you get the impression that everything on the internet is evil.

This simply isn't the case, the internet is like real like you just use common sense. You wouldn't go into a club and give all your details to the first person you met, so obviously you don't do it on the internet.

Be sensible, but not paranoid, the truth is the internet is full of people, lots of different kinds of people, some good, some bad and some indifferent. If your going to speak to someone once, give all your details and arrange to meet then your likely to end up with a problem at some point, but thinking that talking in a chat room is dangerous is just paranoia nothing more.

As a rule chat rooms are based on themes, whether that is dating, sci fi, religion or any other myriad of topics doesn't matter, go to a dating chat room then the idea of most ppl there will be dating and sex.

Go to a sci fi, the idea will be sci fi and sex, got to a religious room and it will be religion and sex :) sorry but there are always ppl who are obsessed by sex and be in any chat room, but of course yo ignore these people.

The Internet is safe, providing you treat it with respect :)
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Chat rooms eh? Seems very 1997 to me. Haven't been in an internet chat room in years. Forums and the like can be a bit different, but all over there's a lot of dross with only some gems here and there.

I don't worry too much about the net. I use it for most things and am even looking at finding people for dating on it at the mo. I think if you're sensible then there's not too much to fear. There are also reasonably reliable ways of checking people out. Nowadays even the likes of Facebook is as good a way as any to check out someone's credentials, and to get to know a lot about them.

Dan