dyspraxia assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

janet
New member - welcome them!

dyspraxia assessment

Post by janet »

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have just been assessed by someone recommended to me on this form and I am so glad I have just been diagnosed as dyspraxic for my university course. It means so much to have a proper diagnosis by a profession who was able to do what they call at DSA assessment which means I may be able to get an allowance from student finance England to claim some help as I need some specific resources which my needs assessor has just given the ok for. I am going to get some software to help me read better on the computer, not sure what it involves, but my learning support at uni is going to take me thru it when it arrives. I am just so glad I now know what I have after spending years of doing everything the wrong way round and I have real trouble planning what I want to say on paper so I will get help with that too. I was assessed by Mrs Dickens or Annette Dickens at her home near to Newbury. I had to travel there but it was worth it as she made me feel so at ease and although I was very worried about the tests, she made me feel so comfortable and explained what each test was. She could not have been more sympathetic and helpful. I would really recommend her to other people. she told me a diagnosis had to come from a doctor but she could do an assessment for education purposes and also told me because of my slow speed of reading she was recommend I get up to 25% extra time in exams which will certainly help me when it comes to exams as I never ever finish them in time. I am just so relieved and my future looks much more rosy now. Good luck to others.
HelenS

Re: dyspraxia assessment

Post by HelenS »

I've heard good things about Annette too, but sadly her registration had lapsed so she wasn't able to do our assessment. Good to know she's back assessing again now.
josiej.

Post by josiej. »

I have recently moved but I wanted to say I used Annette Dickens for an assessment for my son who was applying to university. She carried out a DSA assessment in the hope my son will get the allowance to help him with resources at university. What we had suspected for years was revealed in Annette's assessment - we never got much help from primary school or secondary school but his "cognitive results" gave the proof we needed. So pleased we found her - she was recommended to us by a friend who had a dyslexia assessment with Annette who said she also did dyspraxia assessments for education purposes. She was sympathetic and very professional.
All the best to everyone. Josie.
susanjones

Post by susanjones »

I wanted to say I went to see Annette Dickins as well for an assessment for dyspraxia. I needed one for uni and I always thought I was dyspraxic but was never tested at school. Struggled all my life with things. Now I have a assessment which I used to apply for the dsa. Learning support at uni have been very helpful and I am so glad my mum found about about Annette. She was very kind and the tests were mostly puzzles with a bit of reading writing and spelling and some drawing and listening tests. Worth getting for uni especially when it will pay for learning support lessons at uni. Go for it and good luck everyone. Susan
susanjones

Post by susanjones »

I wanted to say I went to see Annette Dickins as well for an assessment for dyspraxia. I needed one for uni and I always thought I was dyspraxic but was never tested at school. Struggled all my life with things. Now I have a assessment which I used to apply for the dsa. Learning support at uni have been very helpful and I am so glad my mum found about about Annette. She was very kind and the tests were mostly puzzles with a bit of reading writing and spelling and some drawing and listening tests. Worth getting for uni especially when it will pay for learning support lessons at uni. Go for it and good luck everyone. Susan
simon_shaw

Post by simon_shaw »

I would also recommend Annette Dickens. I needed a report for uni and saw her name on here so I asked her advice. I filled in some forms and had an assessment with her - took 3 hours but she made me feel so relaxed it went over very quickly tho I was dead tired after it. She said I had dyspraxia and my "profile" was tpically dyspraxic. She made a lot of recommendations for college too and for me - I put her report into student finance England and I got the allowance to help me - so glad I found her. Highly recommend her - great lady. Simon