Newly diagnosed

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

nikki_morgan04
New member - welcome them!

Newly diagnosed

Post by nikki_morgan04 »

Hi Everyone,

Two months ago I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and ADD, I'm 25 and currently studying at University. This report has really got to me, I had my needs assessment yesterday and can't seem to stop crying. I feel like everything I do now is because of my dyspraxia and ADD, I've become 10 times more aware of how clumsy, forgetful, scatty and disorganised I am. In my job I feel like I must be horrible to work with as I'm almost constantly forgetting things, not following though on tasks, or just making a fool of myself by tripping over or dropping/spilling whatever I'm holding. I'd hate to work with me. I feel stupid and useless and all I seem to be doing is proving this report right by not be able to manage the simplest tasks lately. ](*,) Am I alone in feeling like this? I don't know what to do to stop feeling so crappy.

Sorry to just dump that, just a bit of a vent really as feeling quite low at the moment.
music123

Re: Newly diagnosed

Post by music123 »

Hello! No don't worry you are not alone = I understand that feeling completely and you put it so well = I was diagnosed last week at the age of 50 - thought initially it was good to know, but I too have felt very low since being told and everything I say and do is very obvious. I keep telling people thinking it is a revelation and then wish I hadn't !!!!! My main issue is processing - visual and aural = I wish I had found out earlier in life then I wouldn't have blamed myself so much for feeling anxious and low and worried all these years. I have developed coping strategies, but need to come to terms with the diagnosis. luckily I have found my way and am a full time piano teacher. I love my job but say sorry constantly so I can stop the thought process going so quickly! Am hoping this forum will help me feel normal, even at my age!
:)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Nikki

First of all welcome and I doubt there is a person on this forum who has not felt the same at some time so don't feel bad about unloading. Sadly diagnosis never seems to be accompanied by any counselling or a chat about 'what now'. We're almost expected to go "ah dyspraxia thats why I struggle" and then get on with life blaming our dyspraxia and wishing we weren't so different. You're still the same person you just know a bit more about yourself and I know it is uncomfortable.

I'm sure your colleagues don't actually really hate every minute working with you. It's not unusual to feel that they might and I suspect there have been times when you've got on their nerves with something or other. However, are they all perfect themselves, 100% of the time?

You've had some life changing news that will change the way you see yourself. You'll need time to come to terms with what it means but you will find it gets better and there plenty of us here in the same boat. (We're all frantically bailing water and/or trying to get the boat to go in the right direction too 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I was given a diagnosis of dyspraxia and aspergers traits. For both diagnoses, I did not have any post-diagnostic support.

I had a stressful period including difficulties eating, sleeping. I discovered that if I am not calm, my symptoms become worse. I became depressed and anxious, disorganised. I think it repeated itself.

I should have got diagnosed with dyspraxia, between the age of 15 and 21.

I wish, adult dyspraxia, was discussed more, everything seems to be delivered for parents of children.

I am upset,regarding the lack of support.
francisB

Post by francisB »

I understand how you feel. But it doesn't mean you'll be that depressed. There are a lot more you can do.