counselling / therapy

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

screengreen
Power poster

counselling / therapy

Post by screengreen »

Hi I am struggling with confidence and self esteem anyone had experience of counselling, other therapies, was thinking possibly even of hypnosis ... I just keep making mistakes and have had very negative thoughts but have not follows through with them because of the impact my actions would have on the people I love thanks in advance.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: counselling / therapy

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Screen

Sorry to read you're having a hard time

If my memory serves me correctly you're an OT for the NHS? Assuming your current struggles are work related or even if they are not, Is there anyone at work you could speak to about some additional support/reassurance. I live near Gloucester Hospital and it seems the NHS have rebranded Occupational Health as Working Well.

I was able to have some Cognitive behavioural Therapy (CBT) sessions a couple of years ago I when I was struggling but before I learned I was dyspraxic. If I were to try and describe CBT, I would say it works by helping you to unlock your ability to use your inner coping mechanisms. So for example if I'm worried about whether I'm any good the evidence to support that might include I have a job, my colleagues/friends appreciate me and will come to me for advice. These two points in theory tell me that maybe my worry is not as valid as it first appears.

Another thing out there is mindfulness which seems to be very much in vogue. I don't know all that much about it but I understand it involves meditation.

All the best and I hope things seem less bleak soon. We like having you here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Thanks for the vote of confidence and yes you are right it is work that I am struggling with I am kind of feeling that I have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire I only have 1 OT colleague who appears from my perspective to be constantly undermining me but I am scared to bring this to supervision as I am worried about being branded negative as in my last job, where I was also bullied but at least there I had supportive colleagues, seems to me that because I don`t think the way others do they will always be on my case... still I think I will give counselling a go so that hopefully I will be in better place when I start a new job..... that's if I manage to find one nearer home. Thanks for your support.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

well have been for my first session with staff support aka counselling, not quite the practical help I hoped for but spaced out ... monthly not weekly may work better or gaining long term perspective and not being so perfectionist as we dyspraxics tend to be although I do wish there was a practical advice service for people like us well I can dream.