Reading and remembering facts from textbook?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

wmasor
New member - welcome them!

Reading and remembering facts from textbook?

Post by wmasor »

Does dyspraxia affect your ability to read and remember facts from a textbook? I'm really struggling with it, I didn't think it was anything to do with my dyspraxia at first, but then I read something online that made me wonder. If I could get some opinions on this, that'd be awesome. :)
Slinky Siren
Getting settled in

Re: Reading and remembering facts from textbook?

Post by Slinky Siren »

I don't remember what I have read so studying for me is really really difficult. I too would love to hear from anyone who has a way of tackling this. I am thinking about studying again but am put off by not remembering what I'm reading...lots of other issues as well. Oh, and I'm classed as a mature student if that helps.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Reading and remembering facts from textbook?

Post by Tom fod »

We do differ in the way we are assimilate and remember facts. I find I'm not always good if I'm under pressure to take in facts and then make decisions based on them but do get a fair bit of practice at work and going to quizzes. Taking minutes is something I can't do easily though I have tried and don't really like it.

Some people like to use mind maps (sometimes also called a spider diagram). There are free or cheap software packages/apps out there including one called free mind. I believe theres another strategy called graphical representation where you draw little pictures to help you remember/get your points across. Whether you are dyslexic or not they sometimes have tools/strategies that you might find work for you.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)