Wanting to do a PGCE...

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Persia
New member - welcome them!

Wanting to do a PGCE...

Post by Persia »

Hello,
First time on a forum chat.
I have recently been diagnosed if that's the right word? And it has explained a lot about the struggles I have had compared to my siblings.
I studied at university but received a 2.2 I wanted to do a PGCE, unfortunately most university's want a 2.1. I was wondering considering i have only just been diagnosed that if I has help during my secondary/college/university would it of made a difference and could I have a 2.1. I don't know whether it is worth talking to someone from a university to see if they could help? Anyone been in a similar sort of position as me, could help me that would be grand cheers!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: Wanting to do a PGCE...

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Id ask at the disability support unit of the uni(s) you want to go to , now you have an official diagnosis you should be able to get provisions put in place to help you through and they maybe able to make grade allowances because of your disability, obviously they cant change your grade but they may be able to relax the entry requirements, cant hurt to at least ask.
freida74
Getting settled in

Re: Wanting to do a PGCE...

Post by freida74 »

sorry this reply is a bit late and I wonder how you are getting on and whether you applied to do a PGCE?

I also got a 2.2 and really struggled with a lot of things that looking back could be to do with my potentially being dyspraxic. This year I am studying for post grad certificate and I have very much struggled with getting my argument structured and logical. when talking to my course tutor about my struggles and my previous experiences through school she was the one that raised the question as to whether I am dyspraxic. as this was only last week I dont know if I am or whether i will be able to get a diagnosis. I am not clumsy particulalry but all mental process and memory stuff, organisation, sensitivity to light, touch, taste - quite a lot of things do apply to me.

I have applied to do a PGCE next year and was accepted despite my 2,2. in fact when i visited on the open day and talked to the tutor she was keen for me to apply.

I guess the best option would be to contact the unis direct and get advice. a 2.1 is an ideal they put out there but sometimes it says you don't even need a degree in that subject you can be a career changer with lots of practical experience in your field. I guess it depends on your subject - some places are oversubscribed and some are actively trying to fill spaces so may be more lenient - as is the case for my subject!

I have to say I feel quite overwhelmed with my work at the moment and really struggling. Now I'm thinking I my have dyspraxia and I'm thinking oh wow that explains SUCH a LOT but its not helping me get things done. I'm also doubting myself. IF I'm struggling like this now how will I cope when I do my PGCE?