Struggle with essay structure and arranging thoughts

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Struggle with essay structure and arranging thoughts

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

Hello.

I am struggling with an essay.

I have a habit of going in a tangent in my essays but find it hard to identify many times and have no diagnoses of Dyspraxia, only motor delay and Dyslexia. Maybe even adhd.

I would like you to take a look at my essay and try to idenify whereabouts in the essay that I go on a tangent or wander away from the question and my argument.

I would like you to explain why and where there are places in the essay where I stray away from the question and my argument, while being as specific as you can and giving examples of straying.

I would like some suggestions on how to avoid straying or reduce straying and how to catch myself doing the going offf in tangents.

I am told that it is normal for students to do this in their essays. Howevere, I have also been informed that it is also in my communication with people that I stray and that this habit is connected with Dyspraxics.

Here is my essay below which includes the question at the top:

Do Shakespeare tragedies offer an insight into the truth that disables the illusion necessary for a liveable life and for agency generally.’ ? Answer with reference to any two of the plays from the course.
Shakespeare plays offer an insight into the truth through removing the protection which helps people to live longer lives and he makes them face the brutal reality which they live in or are a part of. This argument will be based on the idea that it is not always possible to be in control of our own lives and that attitude towards life can change over time, while giving examples from King Lear and Macbeth.

Faith plays a big role in everyday life. The theme of time is emphasised in King Lear, which consists of a logical realisation that death is inescapable and often unpredictable. For example, Lear enters the process of a life of an old man and his life shifts from having servants, devoted daughters and a big palace to having nothing. Lady Macbeth is experiencing traumatising thoughts of the murder she and Macbeth conducted on a righteous king. These thoughts disturb her from her sleep every night and She is vulnerable, passive and considered insane. This signifies that she is no longer dominant or more than a man than Macbeth since the murder.. However, this event is a sign that change has occurred. Macbeth is not shocked by Lady Macbeth’s death because he feels that death is inevitable so in other words, he is completely aware of the illusion which many people possess and confesses the truth which is that death is inescapable and is tied to every man’s faith. Macbeth speaks of his believe about life and that it is meaningless and that we move along until that hour comes which leads us to our graves, that our death has already been appointed by God and there is no way to avoid or reverse it. Our time is our time and that’s it. “Life’s but a walking shadow a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 535) Macbeth is implying that death is a lie and that we are like pawns or string puppets pulled by the Gods.

People find it hard to accept change such as old age and change of circumstances. For example, Lear found it hard to accept that through his old age and giving everything to his daughters, he was no longer wealthy nor a king and he has to adjust to the reality that he is going to die soon while owning nothing. People fear change which persuades them to hide from change and try their best to stay in the comfort zone. This is not always possible. For example, Lear ending up homeless and neglected as an old man and as a father shows that change took place without his involvement. Illness helps increase the chance of death and it is connected with nature but it cannot be prevented or controlled. For example Shakespeare states “Yet I have known those which have walked in their sleep who have died holily in their beds”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 534) Nature is being used as one of the reasons of death and is a big factor of a person having no control. Furthermore, death is common today in youth due to serious diseases. “ .....The dead man’s knell, is there scarce asked for who and good men’s lives expire before the flowers in their caps, dying or ere they sicken”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 533) Nowadays it is invalid to expect to live until old age and death is unpredictable .

A human’s life can be taken away through evil, for example Cordelia and Duncan. Macbeth murdered Duncan and a soldier of Edmund was sent to hang Cordelia. This shows that our faith can be decided by others, which in that case, we lack control over our lives and our death’s are marked. The choice of whether to live or die can be taken away from us and has in this case above. Furthermore, a life is not destroyed only by physical force of our enemy but of a mission for our perpetrator or murder-er and or of manipulation and deception, which provoke us to commit suicide or harm others. Edmund cunningly influenced Goneril’s murderous actions towards her sister by implanting thoughts of desire for him and competing for his attention. Edmund intervened in the actions of two sisters which in turn changed their faith or destiny. “We that are young shall never see so much, nor live so long”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 520) this expresses the reality that life is very short and death is just around the corner and societies change. “Why then, God’s soldier be he , had I as many sons as I have hairs, I would not whish them to a fair-er death and so his knell is knoled”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 536) “I have lived long enough: my way of life is fallin into the sere, the yellow leaf; and that which should accompany old age, as honour, love, obedience, troops, of friends, I must not look to have; but in their stead, curses, not loud; but deep, mouth-honour, breathe, which the poor heart would fain deny and dare not”. Shakespeare (2008, p. 534) The cycle of old age is highlighter to show that old age is associated with change in circumstances and has a relationship with dying.

A person’s position in society is important and will bring great satisfaction which will lead others to praise and respect you. The truth is that we are all human beings seeking meaning and happiness and sometimes what we think we wanted at the beginning, is that what we want to know or desire and purpose in life has changed so what we had in the past no longer holds any meaning. A person is worth much more than their wealth and status.

Nature cannot be resisted or avoided, it creeps up unexpectedly whether in sickness, old age or accidents. However, our purpose and importance in living is greatly changed and influenced by illness and old age. The question then relies on the fact whether or not there is a point in living a life of physical suffering and limitations placed in old age to disable your ability to care for your own needs and gives a person the determination to survive. Nature also limits our control over ourselves and our lives.

Tomorrow tomorrow p. 264
This signifies the transformation of an old life to the present life, followed by the realisation that what they held in previous life, no longer holds any meaning for them. What we do in life doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t change others perception of you and it doesn’t change your fortune as you are responsible for your own choices in life. (Tomorrow Tomorrow)

There are many things factors which make life unsatisfying and not worth living such as torture, immorality, slavery, rape and exploitation. The society we live in has a great impact on time of death and of the choice whether to live life or die. When something precious is taken away, it encourages us to lose hope and interest in living such as a personal loss of a loved one. When Gloucester got his eyes gouged out, he requested he be left to rot.

Life is experienced through other senses rather than just the eyes, they include smell, touch, taste and intuition. Our senses can also influence the way a person perceives the reality around them and can create a sense of meaning for life.

“Thence the fiercene

The essay word limit is 2000 words.

I feel very hopeless and am also not sure about what articles I should use and what title I put in in the search engine in order for the search engine to find the article which I am looking for. For example how do I find an article to do with someone taking a persons life, in shakespear and how illness is something that cannot be control and limits a person's lifespan?

My essay is due this Monday morning.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Regards.

:)
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Struggle with essay structure and arranging thoughts

Post by Tom fod »

Amy

Hope you're progressing with this. I'm afraid the subject and question are quite confusing to me!

"Do Shakespeare tragedies offer an insight into the truth that disables the illusion necessary for a liveable life and for agency generally?’

All I can suggest is that you take a step back and think about the question by drawing up an essay plan. Break it down into sections think about whether you deal with the King Lear bits first or the Macbeth or vice versa or weave your examples from each together to either support or disprove the argument according to your point of view.
Do a mind map or spider diagram if that helps you Take a highlighter pen or to to your essay draft and the question and think about the order in which you will present your points and where you feel you have drifted away.

I presume you mean fate as opposed to faith?

As for web searches. You could get all kinds of dodgy hits if you google "taking a life" some of which might end up with a visit from the police! You can limit your results by appending your search terms with with site:.ac which should limit your results to academic websites/domains rather than the rambling ideas or serial killers or other worrying and scary individuals.

This can also be achieved using the advanced features of your chosen search engine to select and limit the results you want

All the best and good luck
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)