Daydreams/dreams

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

jennitalia
New member - welcome them!

Daydreams/dreams

Post by jennitalia »

For as long as I can remember, if I'm trying to sleep or day dream, or even when I am asleep, every now and then I get these weird sort of interruptions, I guess sort of like visions. They're usually sepia toned, and mostly just consist of lots of lines and geometric shapes and fuzzyness or distorted versions of what I was dreaming about, and it's really uncomfortable almost and unpleasant, like the visual equivalent of white noise, it's also incredibly difficult to explain/describe. I've had it cloud over dreams or daydreams before, it usually happens when I'm awake, and nothing I can do gets rid of it really, and it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I have no idea if this has anything to do with my dyspraxia but I'd be curious to find out if ANYBODY else gets these weird sort of distortions?
Jim
Super poster

Re: Daydreams/dreams

Post by Jim »

To be honest.. I'd take that to your Doctors.

I have no sensible idea what that could be, but the only thing that occurs to me is a mild case of epilepsy.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Lea-w
New member - welcome them!

Re: Daydreams/dreams

Post by Lea-w »

sound similar to the Alice in wonderland syndrome (AIWS) I suffered from during childhood and adolescents. I used to see all sorts of weird things, the characters from my wall paper would come alive and characters and toys from TV adverts would seem to dance round my head, one time I was certain there was a footballer playing keepie upie on the end of my bed! it was weird because I could see my brother asleep in his own bed across the room the whole time.

Mostly it time would just slow down or I would feel like I was moving really fast, my body would feel weird, my fingers and hands look longer and thinner than normal, sometimes the room would spin around me or tic back and forth. Shadows would move about or straight edges would contort into curves and change colour.

It was more likely to happen when I was tired in the evening or just as I was falling asleep but it did hapen other times as well. I'd have to sit still till it passed as it messed up my already poor special awareness so I wasn't safe to move around. Apparently it's similar to tripping out on LSD, my childhood experiences of AIWS have ensured I never wish to risk finding out how true that is.

It's actually thought to be pretty common, although it's not often properly diagnosed due to a lack of awareness. (I was originally diagnosed with waking nightmares.) It can be a side effect or precurser to migraines (as mine was) or mono. It could also be caused by temporal lobe epilepsy. As the only symptom it very unlikely to indicate any serious problems and is usually considered to be a interesting side affect rather than a stand alone issue. Most but not all people grow out of it in their teens (I've not had an episode since my early twenties myself.)