Potato peeling

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Potato peeling

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully peel potatoes?. Last time I tried, I cut uneven pieces of each potato and kept cutting my finger. The potato was hastily taken off my duty list :blush:
alice3rd
Getting settled in

Re: Potato peeling

Post by alice3rd »

I don't use a knife, just buy a patatoe peeler that is really wide, I find the wider the easier !! X
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Just to take your time and concentrate on what you're doing, but yes I do find the Y shaped peeler far safer.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I agree that a Y potato peeler is easier to use than a traditional potato peeler. On Amazon they've actually got electric potato peelers, but they're quite expensive.
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Thank you, ill be on the look out for a Y shaped peeler. This will be useful for work and home life :)
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I like the traditional potatoe peelers but they do need to be sharp. I hold the poatote in the palm of by hand and peel away from me (for obvios reasons!!) That does the longer sides nicely.I then hold the potatoe in my hand and sort of chip away at the ends....I buy big potatoes cos I find them easier to peel. My granny used to tease me about needing to peel my peelings!!! 30 years on I'm a bit better at it...practise practise practise. I was pretty good by the time I was 25 (Ish) !! goodluck
LilBee
Getting settled in

Post by LilBee »

I used to find it difficult,but then i bought a longer peeler that was shaped so i had a good grasp.Avoid using a sharp knife to peel food as they are less flexiable and harder to control! :)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

My mum bought me a 'tato peeler before and I tried using it in front of some friends and embarrassed myself... Got a razor styled one since and that was waaay better!
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

The Y shaped ones are really the best but as it has been said its not easy so if its too much then think about investing in a automatic pealer.
This one I think is probably the best http://www.oxouk.com/p-228-y-peeler.aspx
The real Mr Potato Head
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Thank you for the suggestions especially about the Y oxo peeler, about 2 months ago I bought a Y shaped potato peeler which is roughly the same as what was suggested so even if it still takes me over an hour to peel a bag of potatoes, I do not mind doing it.
Oh, do not worry I never use knives, I peel towards me, so if I used a knife I think I would seriously hurt myself. Haha I peel potatoes in front My grandmother when I visit, needless to say I embarrass my self as well
Rebecca
Getting settled in

Post by Rebecca »

I hate peeling potatoes, for all the reasons you've all listed. I've managed to work around it by sticking to my strengths, stirring the gravy and opening the sherry :)
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

It took me many years to learn how to peel potatoes, but I learned eventually a couple of years ago. Now, all I need to master is how to peel parsnips (as they are a very difficult shape).
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I would have thought potatos would be the hardest, parsnips are quite easy - hold them at the top on a level surface and run the peeler down the sides of them.
I havent had much difculitie with pealing so i may not be the best person to give advice on this.
The real Mr Potato Head
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I find peeling potatos quite easy ... until i cut my knuckle with the peeler :lol: stings like hell but ah well u win some u lose some
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
toxic_ange
Getting settled in

Post by toxic_ange »

I just gave up :D I learned to love potatoes which aren't naked hehe
"we are all the same under the skin, and I for one would skin the world to prove it" - Ayn Rand