Good Books

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Good Books

Post by Tom fod »

Late last-year I read Pandeamonium by Christopher Brookmyre. It was about a group of Scottish School kids who go off on an outward bound trip in an area where the military happens to have opened a gateway to hell.

One passage particularly resonated for me and went something like

"he was quiet but he had everyone's number. It was good for them that he didn't say much because if he chose to he could 'nail them to the wall' "

probably a bit dark and apologies it's not accurately remembered but wondered what books other people like?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Good Books

Post by agsiul »

Sounds a bit like Lord of the Flies. Good book but completely traumatic. The last really good book I read was A House in Fez. If you are intersted in travel or cultures in other countries it's very good. Some of it is very funny.
Spinellie
Getting settled in

Post by Spinellie »

Hi Tom, sounds like quite the read. I'm into Thrillers and your typical girlyromantic books, oh and comedy. I like authors such as James Patterson , Paul Howard and now my brain has froze lol. Ooh i also love criminology and psychology books,be it for learning more or just a criminology styled thriller. All in all I usually book up a book (in a shop) read the back then the first two pages, if i'm intised (spelling?) by that, i'll buy it. However i've only learnt of my interests in books over the past few years. As a child i'd read almost anything!
"I know that I am intelligent because, I know that I know nothing" ~ Socrates
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Spinellie

I know that brain freeze feeling ands its worse when I'm speaking less so when interacting with my computer. Anyway if you'd like to combine thrills with comedy, another author I'd heartily recommend is Bill Fitzhugh. He's an American author so I've generally found you need to resort to Amazon (though I was lucky to find an ex-library copy of one of his books second hand.) I'd say it's worth checking out blurbs on Amazon particularly for Cross Dressing, Pest Control or Heart Seizure. His books are similar to Carl Hiaasen's - (if that means anything)

I love books. Good way to escape but there are so many! The word you were after spelling for was enticing btw.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Spinellie
Getting settled in

Post by Spinellie »

Hi Tom, thanks for the recommendation, i'll have a look around for mr.fitzhugh - see what I can dig up. There's a shop in town that is quite handy for books like that, and will thankfully order them in ,that way i don't have to head over to amazon! I noticed quite a few errors in my post, sorry about that and thank you for giving me the correct spelling of enticing ,one i always seem to mess up haha. I've not actually heard of Carl Hiaasen, so there's two author's for me to check out thank you :) Yes reading can taking you into your own little bubble, it's rather relaxing.
"I know that I am intelligent because, I know that I know nothing" ~ Socrates
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I really enjoy the Earths Children series by Jean M Auel they are called *in order* Clan Of The Cave Bear, The Valley Of Horses, The Mammoth Hunters, The Plains Of Passage, The Shelters Of Stone and The Land Of Painted Caves. They follow the story of a woman called Ayla who is a Cro Magnon Human who at five years old loses her entire family in an earthquake and ends up being adopted by a clan of Neanderthals (Mainly by the medicine woman Iza and the Mog-ur Creb) And lives with them till the age of fourteen when she is forced out by the new leader who hates her. She then goes on to meet her mate and lots of other groups of people before finally getting mated and becoming a mother to a daughter (second child as other got adopted by clan)

Really recommend these books
mrdyspraxia
Getting settled in

Post by mrdyspraxia »

Any by Torey Hayden. I like reading but I'm not a big reader, however I read two books from her recently and was capitaved.